Chicken Breasts with Fruit Salsa
Jalapeno pepper gives a little kick to the fruit salsa. Preparing this tropical-tasting dish in a skillet keeps your kitchen cool, which is especially nice on a summer day.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup pineapple tidbits, drained
- 1/2 cup quartered fresh strawberries
- 1 kiwifruit, peeled, quartered and sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- In a small bowl, combine the oil, salt, pepper and garlic. Spread over one side of each chicken breast.
- In a large skillet, saute chicken seasoned side down in butter for 4-6 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 170°. Remove chicken to serving platter; keep warm.
- Meanwhile, for salsa, in a small bowl, combine the fruit, onion and pepper; set aside. Combine cornstarch and juice until smooth; gradually stir into skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; pour over fruit mixture and gently toss to coat. Serve with chicken.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 164 calories, 10g fat (4g saturated fat), 31mg cholesterol, 223mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as Chicken Breasts with Fruit Salsa in 2003 Taste of Home Calendar
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.