Sunday Roast Chicken
This recipe proves that comfort food doesn't have to be full of unwanted calories. Mixed with orange and lemon juice, my roast chicken is both flavorful and healthy. —Robin Haas, Cranston, Rhode Island.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 1-3/4 hours + resting
- 1 medium fennel bulb
- 5 large carrots, cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces
- 1 large white onion, quartered, divided
- 1 medium lemon
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (4 pounds)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 cup orange juice
- Preheat oven to 350°. Using a sharp knife, trim stalks and root end of fennel bulb. Cut bulb lengthwise into quarters; cut and remove core. Cut fennel into 1-in. wedges. Place fennel, carrots and three of the onion quarters in a shallow roasting pan, spreading evenly.
- Cut lemon in half; squeeze juice into a small bowl, reserving lemon halves. Stir minced garlic, honey, salt, pepper flakes and pepper into juice.
- Place chicken on a work surface, neck side down. With fingers, carefully loosen skin from the tail end of the chicken breast. Spoon juice mixture under skin of breast; secure skin with toothpicks. Place garlic cloves, lemon halves and remaining onion inside chicken cavity. Tuck wings under chicken; tie drumsticks together. Place chicken over vegetables, breast side up.
- Pour orange juice over chicken. Roast 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until a thermometer inserted in thickest part of thigh reads 170°-175°. (Cover loosely with foil if chicken browns too quickly.)
- Remove roasting pan from oven; increase oven setting to 450°. Remove chicken from pan; tent with foil and let stand 15 minutes before carving.
- Meanwhile, return roasting pan to oven; roast vegetables 10-15 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender and lightly browned. Using a slotted spoon, remove vegetables from pan. If desired, skim fat from pan juices and serve with chicken and vegetables.
Nutrition Facts4 ounces cooked chicken (skin removed) with 1/2 cup vegetables: 292 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 98mg cholesterol, 470mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 4g fiber), 34g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable.
Originally published as Sunday's Healthy Roast Chicken in Healthy Cooking Annual Recipes 2016
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.