Sunday Pork Roast
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 1 hour 10 min. + standing
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 bay leaf, finely crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1-1/4 teaspoons pepper, divided
- 1 boneless pork loin roast (3 to 4 pounds)
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place vegetables on bottom of a shallow roasting pan. Mix 2 tablespoons flour, bay leaf, thyme, and 1 teaspoon each salt and pepper; rub over roast. Place roast on top of vegetables, fat side up. Add 1 cup water to pan.
- Roast 1 hour, basting once with pan juices if desired. Sprinkle brown sugar over roast. Roast 10-15 minutes longer or until a thermometer reads 140°. (Temperature of roast will continue to rise about 5-10° upon standing.)
- Remove roast to a platter. Tent with foil; let stand 15 minutes before slicing.
- Strain drippings from roasting pan into a measuring cup; skim fat. Add enough water to the drippings to measure 1-1/2 cups.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, whisk remaining flour and 1/3 cup water until smooth. Gradually whisk in drippings mixture and remaining salt and pepper. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve roast with gravy. Freeze option: Freeze cooled sliced pork and gravy in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a covered saucepan, gently stirring and adding a little broth or water if necessary.
Nutrition Facts3 ounces cooked pork with about 2 tablespoons gravy: 174 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 57mg cholesterol, 280mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 0 fiber), 22g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1/2 starch.
Jul 1, 2018
This port roast was excellent. It was nicely flavored and easy to prepare. The brown sugar was a nice addition from the other recipes that I've made previously and it complemented the roast nicely.
May 1, 2018
Made this and I liked it very much, pork stayed nice and moist, I often have a problem keeping this cut of meat moist while roasting. So yeah, braising this if that is what it was worked really great.
Jan 14, 2018
This is the best pork roast I've ever had! I'm serving it at my wedding reception
Jan 9, 2018
We did not care for the flavor these seasonings added.
Jan 1, 2018
Instead of adding 1c water to pan in the beginning, I added 1/2c white cooking wine and 1/2c water and it gave it so much flavor! Such a great recipe! No leftovers! My family inhaled it going back for seconds and thirds!
Nov 26, 2017
it is a crap recipe ,been in the oven aprox 1 hr and 45 minutes for a 3.25 lb roast and internal temp is 115 degreesand on convect roast, you wont print this because its a negative review.
Oct 26, 2017
This one is a keeper! No need to even sort through reviews to see what people altered to make the recipe great. Only changes I had to make are that I had to cook it longer. Go by internal temp, not time. And I made a little bit more gravy, because.... well.... it's gravy! Delicious, and even the leftovers were juicy and great. Don't skip the crushed bay leaf. It's essential. Served with oven roasted potatoes and a salad.
Sep 10, 2017
Thank you ,, I live in Port St Lucie , Fl ,,, Sat I was scared , because Hurricane. Erma was coming , , I cook .. when stressed ,, I made a this 8 lb Pork roast , with your recipe ,, so Good ,, II shared with neighbors ,, after they had worked all day putting up shutters the last min , I also had put Potatoes in with roast ,, keep posting
May 7, 2017
Simple! Didn't have any thyme on hand, so I subbed in dried oregano. It was really tender and tasty. I used extra carrots and celery to layer the bottom of my cast iron pan.
Mar 6, 2017
This is my new "go to" for pork roast. Delightful in every way. Family loved the slightly sweet flavor of the roast and veggies. Making sliced pork roast sandwiches for school / work lunches tomorrow!My changes based on what I had available in the pantry:1 tsp Onion powder instead of chopped onions (mixed with dry ingredients)3 Large Carrots (to serve 4 people 1/2 roast for supper tonight. Should have used more so there would be some for leftover roast.)2 Celery Ribs (again could have used more for leftovers . . . we ate all the veggies with dinner tonight.)3 Whole bay leaves placed on top. (removed before serving.)NO salt & pepper . . . I used a no-salt garlic & herb seasoning (with thyme in it) instead of the dried thyme and a dash of ground cayenne pepper.Only other change: instead of shallow roasting pan, I used my Le Creuset deep casserole without the lid.LOVED THIS RECIPE!!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.