Sunday Pork Roast
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 1 hour 10 min. + standing
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 bay leaf, finely crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1-1/4 teaspoons pepper, divided
- 1 boneless pork loin roast (3 to 4 pounds)
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place vegetables on bottom of a shallow roasting pan. Mix 2 tablespoons flour, bay leaf, thyme, and 1 teaspoon each salt and pepper; rub over roast. Place roast on top of vegetables, fat side up. Add 1 cup water to pan.
- Roast 1 hour, basting once with pan juices if desired. Sprinkle brown sugar over roast. Roast 10-15 minutes longer or until a thermometer reads 140°. (Temperature of roast will continue to rise about 5-10° upon standing.)
- Remove roast to a platter. Tent with foil; let stand 15 minutes before slicing.
- Strain drippings from roasting pan into a measuring cup; skim fat. Add enough water to the drippings to measure 1-1/2 cups.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, whisk remaining flour and 1/3 cup water until smooth. Gradually whisk in drippings mixture and remaining salt and pepper. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve roast with gravy.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled sliced pork and gravy in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a covered saucepan, gently stirring and adding a little broth or water if necessary.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts3 ounces cooked pork with about 2 tablespoons gravy: 174 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 57mg cholesterol, 280mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 0 fiber), 22g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1/2 starch.
Aug 18, 2019
I am making this now. I roasted for 1 hour and all the water is gone. Nothing to baste with. Does not look done. Added another cup of water and continue roasting. We will see what happens.
Jun 23, 2019
Wonderful flavor! I cut the amount of sugar to 1/4 C.
Jun 5, 2019
Did not care for the pork roast. Bland. The vegetables took on the bland pork flavor. I wouldn't make this again.
Apr 29, 2019
The good parts of this recipe is the easy list of ingredients and the nice gravy it can make. But, timing of this cook is WAY off. I bought a 3.25 pound roast and followed the directions to the letter. I timed all the rest of my dishes to coordinate with the finish of this meat dish and it was so undercooked, that rest of the dishes were cold or overcooked by the time I got the meat cooked thru. I recommend this preparation but cook the meat for 1 1/2 hours if you have more than a 3lb roast. Also, I would add a second bay leaf to give the rub a bit more flavor.
Oct 18, 2018
An "old school" recipe that brings back memories. I added large chunks of potato along with the carrots and it was a perfect "feel good" meal for us. A real gold standard. Thanks!
Jul 1, 2018
This port roast was excellent. It was nicely flavored and easy to prepare. The brown sugar was a nice addition from the other recipes that I've made previously and it complemented the roast nicely.
May 1, 2018
Made this and I liked it very much, pork stayed nice and moist, I often have a problem keeping this cut of meat moist while roasting. So yeah, braising this if that is what it was worked really great.
Jan 14, 2018
This is the best pork roast I've ever had! I'm serving it at my wedding reception
Jan 9, 2018
We did not care for the flavor these seasonings added.
Jan 1, 2018
Instead of adding 1c water to pan in the beginning, I added 1/2c white cooking wine and 1/2c water and it gave it so much flavor! Such a great recipe! No leftovers! My family inhaled it going back for seconds and thirds!