Roast Pork Soup
This well-seasoned satisfying soup has a rich full-bodied broth brimming with tender chunks of pork, potatoes and navy beans. "It has been a family favorite for years," notes Sue Gulledge of Springville, Alabama. "Served with corn bread, it's one of our comfort foods in winter."
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 55 min.
- 3 cups cubed cooked pork roast
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 can (15 ounces) navy beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian diced tomatoes, undrained
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Minced fresh basil
- In a soup kettle or Dutch oven, combine the first nine ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Sprinkle with basil.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 192 calories, 5g fat (0 saturated fat), 29mg cholesterol, 236mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 4g fiber), 16g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 meat, 1 vegetable.
Originally published as Roast Pork Soup in Quick Cooking March/April 2000
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.