Roast Pork Soup
This well-seasoned, satisfying soup has a rich full-bodied broth brimming with tender chunks of pork, potatoes and navy beans. It's been a family favorite for years. Served with cornbread, it's one of our comfort foods in winter. —Sue Gulledge, Springville, Alabama
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 55 min.
- 3 cups cubed cooked pork roast
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 can (15 ounces) navy beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian diced tomatoes, undrained
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Minced fresh basil
- In a soup kettle or Dutch oven, combine the first nine ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until vegetables are crisp-tender, 45 minutes. Sprinkle with basil.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 206 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 42mg cholesterol, 435mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 4g fiber), 18g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 meat, 1 vegetable.
Originally published as Roast Pork Soup in Quick Cooking March/April 2000
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.