Roast Pork and Potatoes
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 2-1/2 hours + standing
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3 cups water, divided
- 1 bone-in pork loin roast (4 to 5 pounds)
- 2 to 3 pounds small red potatoes, cut in half
- 1-1/2 cups sliced onions
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Stir in 1/2 cup water; let stand for 3 minutes.
- Place roast, fat side up, on a greased rack in a roasting pan. Pour remaining water into the pan. Combine potatoes and onions; spoon around the roast. Brush vegetables and roast with seasoning mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 2-1/2 to 3 hours or until a thermometer reads 160° and potatoes are tender. Baste and stir potatoes occasionally. Tent with foil if browning too fast. Thicken juices for gravy if desired. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 280 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 73mg cholesterol, 434mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 3g fiber), 28g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 24, 2015
Excellent! This dish was great. Easy to put together and tastes wonderful. I did not put the Reds in with the roast. Had some reds that I had made similar to twice baked left over added them to a few left over mashed, added a bit more cheese, mashed 'em up together which brings me to... definitely make juice into gravy was absolutely superb over these potatoes and the pork. Really helped make the dish, sure it would be wonderful making the reds with the roast. Next time probably will do that. I did toss some fresh frozen mushroom's (after defrosting) and their juices with the onion added them around the roast as stated. Used allspice in place of ground gloves. Also use chicken broth in place of water over the roast. Then lastly, evenly poured the onion mixture over the roast. Definitely a keeper. Can't say enough about it.
Jan 2, 2013
Made this recipe on New Years' Day. I knew it would be good just from the introduction of Meet the Cook and it was. We all enjoyed the dinner. Thank you for the recipe.
Oct 3, 2012
Delicious! My family loved it. I also added fresh mushrooms and soy sauce. I did have to double the seasoning mixture to cover the meat and vegetables properly. Also, I needed to bake it for about 30 minutes longer than stated in the recipe. Will definitely make this again. Thanks for sharing.
Oct 26, 2011
so moist and tender possibly the best pork roast I've ever had. Only thing I might change is instead of putting the seasoning on top of the roast I might put it in a large baggie and massage it into the roast for better coverage.
Feb 12, 2011
Excellent, the meat is moist and delicious!
Jan 1, 2010
This was by far the best pork roast recipe I have ever cooked. The meat was so tender and the gravy from the drippings was delicious!!