Pork Loin with Potatoes
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + marinating Bake: 2-3/4 hours + standing
- 1 bone-in pork loin roast (5 pounds)
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- ONION MUSHROOM GRAVY:
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 1-1/4 cups chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Cut slits in top of roast; insert garlic slices. Combine the oil, paprika, pepper and thyme; rub over roast. Place in a large resealable plastic bag; seal and refrigerate the roast overnight.
- Transfer roast to a shallow roasting pan. bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1-3/4 hours. Meanwhile, place potatoes and salt in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes or until almost tender. Drain; cool slightly. Cut potatoes into quarters; arrange around roast.
- Bake 45 minutes longer or until a thermometer reads 160° and potatoes are tender, basting potatoes with drippings occasionally. Remove potatoes; keep warm. Cover roast and let stand for 15 minutes before carving.
- For gravy, pour drippings and loosened browned bits into a measuring cup. Skim fat, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings. Add water and broth to reserved drippings; set aside. In a large saucepan, saute onions and mushrooms in butter and oil until tender.
- Stir in flour until blended. Gradually stir in broth mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in parsley and pepper. Serve with roast and potatoes.
Nutrition Facts5 ounce-weight: 392 calories, 17g fat (5g saturated fat), 94mg cholesterol, 292mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 35g protein.
Jan 28, 2018
Delicious! I loved this pork roast and made it for my mother’s birthday dinner and there were only a few slices left. The only change I made was to leave the mushrooms out of the gravy.
Feb 9, 2016
This roast was very moist and flavorful. The garlic added a pleasantly strong taste along with the fresh herbs. We aren't too fond of mushrooms but found the gravy a delicious addition to the roast and potatoes. Will make this often!
Nov 13, 2014
The pork loin was delish however I added water to bottom of pan and covered last hour. It was moist and served with mashed potatoes. This will for sure be made again in our household !
Nov 12, 2014
So delicious, a nice change from the traditional roast beef with mashed potatoes and gravy! The leftover pork also made very tasty sandwiches the next day!