Pork Chop Potato Casserole
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 8 bone-in pork loin chops (1/2 inch thick and 6 ounces each)
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of celery soup, undiluted
- 2/3 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (26 ounces) frozen shredded hash brown potatoes
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 can (2.8 ounces) french-fried onions, divided
- Sprinkle pork chops with seasoned salt. In a large skillet, brown chops on both sides in oil.
- In a large bowl, combine the soup, milk, sour cream, salt and pepper; stir in hash browns, 3/4 cup cheese and half of the onions. Spread into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Arrange pork chops on top.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 40 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with the remaining cheese and onions. Bake, uncovered, 5-10 minutes longer or until meat juices run clear.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 512 calories, 29g fat (13g saturated fat), 113mg cholesterol, 871mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 34g protein.
Feb 9, 2016
A main dish favorite at our house. Chops are so tender and potatoes are delicious. A great casserole to take to a potluck or a neighbor in need!
May 12, 2015
My son requests this all the time. Very easy to throw together.
Nov 12, 2013
Big hit with my husband, who ordinarily finds pork chops bland. I cooked it longer than suggested by about 15 minutes. Chops were very tender and moist. Potatoes were very creamy. I sprinkled the chops VERY liberally with seasoned salt, but otherwise did not alter the ingredients. I had plenty of potatoes left and I think they'll reheat well. They're a bit reminiscent of Cracker Barrel's Hash Brown Casserole.
Oct 13, 2013
This turned out great, but I made some changes. I don't like cream of celery soup, so I used cream of chicken, and I added six strips of cooked and crumbled bacon and some chopped green onions. The bag of hash browns I bought was 30 oz., so I added just a little more sour cream and milk, and also used some more cheese and onion rings. And....I didn't have bone-chops, so used boneless loin chops. This tasted great, but it is pretty rich, so I won't make it very often.
Apr 23, 2013
could also use frozen french fries and a can of cheese soup also good with ham steaks on top like to cover for 1 hr and then uncover for 25 min.
Jan 22, 2013
One of our favorites. As others have done I have gone to the lower fat versions of all the ingredients, it has not lessoned the flavor. We are not fans of the french fried onions so I put onions in the potatoes.
Sep 26, 2012
This is an excellent recipe. We made it this weekend and it was a huge hit. I made as the recipe describes. Next time I will use reduced fat ingredients and hope it tastes the same. We will add this to our supper rotation.
Mar 19, 2012
I make this for my family occasionally and we all really like it. I lighten it up a bit though by using reduced fat soup, fat free sour cream, fat free/reduced fat cheeses and only half of the french-fried onions. It is still very good this way and I don't feel quite so guilty when serving it.
Nov 4, 2009
I've been making this ever since it first appeared in the magazine years ago. It's one of my family's comfort food requests and so easy to make. I've been using ribeye chops since my husband doesn't like bone-in and it turns out great.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.