Tangy Bacon Green Beans
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 pounds frozen whole green beans
- 12 bacon strips, chopped
- 2 medium onions, halved and sliced
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- Cook beans according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a 6-qt. stockpot, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, stirring occasionally. With a slotted spoon, remove bacon to paper towels; reserve drippings.
- In same pan, saute onions in drippings over medium heat until tender and lightly browned, 7-9 minutes. In a bowl, whisk remaining ingredients until smooth; add to pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, 1-2 minutes.
- Drain beans and add to warm dressing; toss and heat through. Top with bacon.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 173 calories, 11g fat (4g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 483mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Jul 20, 2019
This dish is delicious as written ~ not sure why the other 2 reviewers didn’t care for it but.. we loved it! It tastes exactly like PA Dutch green beans are supposed to taste.. sweet
Mar 3, 2018
These are a variant of what Germans know as Sour Beans. As an onion lover, I would suggest halving the onion called for here. Also, cut the water to 3/4 to 1 cup using 2 tablespoons flour or 1 tablespoon cornstarch. Also use white distilled vinegar and granulated sugar for a more balanced flavor. Add lightly crushed celery seed to the dressing - about 3/4 teaspoon. Finally, this may be made in one pan. Prepare the green beans as directed on the package for the stovetop. Drain into a colander & set aside. In the now empty saucepan prepare the dressing as directed. Return the beans to the pan, toss to dress & heat on low until ready to serve. For 2 pounds of beans, a 4 quart Dutch oven is big enough.I suspect the flavors dschultz01 found unpleasant came from the cider vinegar and brown sugar - both are far to strongly flavored for Sour Beans.
Nov 27, 2017
Didn't care for the taste of this recipe. A little more work than it's worth.