Tangy Baked Seven Beans
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 1 hour
Makes18 servings (3/4 cup each)
- 1 pound bacon strips, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large sweet yellow pepper, chopped
- 1 large sweet red pepper, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) pork and beans
- 1 can (16 ounces) butter beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 bottles (18 ounces each) barbecue sauce
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. In an ovenproof Dutch oven, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, stirring occasionally. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Cook and stir onion, yellow pepper, red pepper, garlic, chipotle pepper and pepper in bacon drippings until vegetables are tender. Remove from heat.
- Add beans and cooked bacon to Dutch oven; stir in barbecue sauce, vinegar and, if desired, liquid smoke.
- Bake, covered, 1 to 1-1/4 hours or until heated through. Freeze option: Freeze cooled beans in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 369 calories, 11g fat (3g saturated fat), 17mg cholesterol, 1126mg sodium, 56g carbohydrate (24g sugars, 9g fiber), 13g protein.
Feb 16, 2016
I made this recipe for the first time and I found this dish to be very tangy and tasty. My adjustments were: 1-1/2 tsp. garlic powder since I didn't have the garlic cloves. I cooked 12 oz. turkey bacon in place of regular bacon. I also omitted the garbanzo beans and black-eyed peas and pinto beans. I'd used Great Northern, Cannellini Beans and Navy Beans in place of the other beans. I did use the butter beans and kidney beans! I just had a can of original baked beans with bacon and I used that in place of the pork and beans. The vinegar, chipotle pepper and ground pepper I kept as is. Since I only had a bottle of BBQ sauce, I used that. I had the yellow and red peppers on hand an orange pepper, so I used the peppers. I used 1 Tbsp. of hickory smoked seasoning since I didn't have liquid smoke.This is definitely a 5* recipe! delowenstein
Feb 2, 2016
I have a couple of go-to recipes for baked beans and this recipe will be joining them. Great taste and fairly easy preparation. It does make a huge batch. I am freezing half of it for Super Bowl Sunday. Afternote: this recipe continues to get rave reviews. It gets better with time!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.