Tangy Baked Seven Beans
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 1 hour
Makes18 servings (3/4 cup each)
- 1 pound bacon strips, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large sweet yellow pepper, chopped
- 1 large sweet red pepper, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) pork and beans
- 1 can (16 ounces) butter beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 bottles (18 ounces each) barbecue sauce
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. In an ovenproof Dutch oven, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, stirring occasionally. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Cook and stir onion, yellow pepper, red pepper, garlic, chipotle pepper and pepper in bacon drippings until vegetables are tender. Remove from heat.
- Add beans and cooked bacon to Dutch oven; stir in barbecue sauce, vinegar and, if desired, liquid smoke.
- Bake, covered, 1 to 1-1/4 hours or until heated through.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled beans in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 369 calories, 11g fat (3g saturated fat), 17mg cholesterol, 1126mg sodium, 56g carbohydrate (24g sugars, 9g fiber), 13g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 16, 2016
I made this recipe for the first time and I found this dish to be very tangy and tasty. My adjustments were: 1-1/2 tsp. garlic powder since I didn't have the garlic cloves. I cooked 12 oz. turkey bacon in place of regular bacon. I also omitted the garbanzo beans and black-eyed peas and pinto beans. I'd used Great Northern, Cannellini Beans and Navy Beans in place of the other beans. I did use the butter beans and kidney beans! I just had a can of original baked beans with bacon and I used that in place of the pork and beans. The vinegar, chipotle pepper and ground pepper I kept as is. Since I only had a bottle of BBQ sauce, I used that. I had the yellow and red peppers on hand an orange pepper, so I used the peppers. I used 1 Tbsp. of hickory smoked seasoning since I didn't have liquid smoke.This is definitely a 5* recipe! delowenstein
Feb 2, 2016
I have a couple of go-to recipes for baked beans and this recipe will be joining them. Great taste and fairly easy preparation. It does make a huge batch. I am freezing half of it for Super Bowl Sunday. Afternote: this recipe continues to get rave reviews. It gets better with time!