Tangy Baked Beans
“Different, delicious and sized exactly right for two people,” is how Dean Copeland in Ochlocknee, Georgia describes this easy, breezy, home-style side dish.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 2 bacon strips, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons strong brewed coffee
- 4 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (8.3 ounces) baked beans, undrained
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- In a small skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until partially cooked but not crisp. Drain on paper towels. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the coffee, brown sugar, vinegar, mustard and salt. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2-3 minutes or until sugar is dissolved. Stir in beans and onion.
- Divide the bean mixture between two 6-oz. ramekins or custard cups coated with cooking spray. Top with bacon. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until bubbly.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 213 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 741mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 7g fiber), 9g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 lean meat.
Originally published as Tangy Baked Beans in Cooking for 2 Summer 2006
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.