Smoky Baked Beans
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 7 hours
- 1 pound bulk spicy pork sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 15-oz. cans pork and beans
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (16 ounces) butter beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) navy beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, drained
- 1/2 cup hickory smoke-flavored barbecue sauce
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon steak seasoning
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke, optional
- In a large skillet, cook sausage and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the beans, tomatoes and sausage mixture. In a small bowl, combine the barbecue sauce, ketchup, brown sugar, mustard, steak seasoning and Liquid Smoke if desired. Stir into bean mixture.
- Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours or until heated through.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested with McCormick’s Montreal Steak Seasoning. Look for it in the spice aisle.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 244 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 896mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 8g fiber), 11g protein.
Nov 5, 2019
I’ve made these beans at least 20 times. They are delish!!!!
May 12, 2019
My "across-the-street" neighbor, Carolee, made these beans for an outdoor event yesterday. She said she made the recipe exactly and that it was a huge hit...... she also said that there was nothing left for her to bring home. In my book, that's a great sign that this is a wonderful recipe. I gave it 4 stars just because I did not have the opportunity to taste it, but, my neighbor is a very good cook and I trust her opinion. Susan Bickta Volunteer Field Editor
Dec 12, 2017
This is an awesome recipe! I have made it several times and forgot to leave a review. So easy to prepare and sooooo good, exactly as written, it is perfect! The whole clan loved it and that is not always the easiest thing to do! Thanks Lynne!!
Dec 10, 2017
I made it exactly as it said but added a little more diced tomatoes so it is a little bit saucier. My husband just loves it.
May 24, 2016
I made this the other day for a Brunch. I did not have the sausage or steak seasoning and did not add the brown sugar. Got RAVE reviews! This is easy and a keeper!
Jul 20, 2015
I was pretty happy with the way these beans turned out. I probably added twice the amount of a smoky steak seasoning that I had on hand, and with the liquid smoke, it gave it a good flavor.
Feb 24, 2015
Forgot on my review to 5 star this recipe!! And mother of 3 you ommit the good flavors!!
Feb 24, 2015
Awesome Smokey Baked Beans!! My family loves them!! Once you taste them you will be hooked!!
Jan 13, 2015
Hubby wasn't really impressed. Something missing he said. I forgot the mustard & steak seasoning. Omitted the sugar & diced tom with chilies, but used Trader Joe's Smoky BBQ sauce; it's very spicy. Think our fellowship would like it immensely.
Jul 17, 2014
These baked beans are absolutely delish!!! I am always asked to make baked beans for family functions, and I always thought I made really good baked beans until I tried this recipe and realized I had so much room for inmprovement!! I omitted the kidney beans due to personal preference and used Johnsonville Hot Italian Sausage as I couldn't find plain sausage, and the flavors mingled so well it was unbelievable. I got countless compliments on these beans, and cannot wait to make them again!! I highly recommend this recipe - you won't be disappointed. Thanks for sharing this recipe!