Savory N Saucy Baked Beans
A.G. Strickland of Marietta, Georgia dresses up canned baked beans in a jiffy...with green pepper, celery and canned tomatoes. With just a hint of sweetness and a touch of garlic, these beans are naturals for summer picnics and patio meals.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 can (28 ounces) vegetarian baked beans
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- In a large saucepan coated with cooking spray, cook the onion, green pepper and celery for 3 minutes or until tender. Stir in beans, tomatoes, pepper, salt and garlic powder. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 148 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 648mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 7g fiber), 7g protein.
Originally published as Savory N Saucy Baked Beans in Light & Tasty April/May 2004
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.