Smoked Sausage and Beans
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 1 hour
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound fully cooked Johnsonville® Fully Cooked Smoked Sausage Rope, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 3 to 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 5 to 6 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Dash hot pepper sauce
- Hot cooked rice or pasta
- In a large skillet, saute onions and garlic in oil until tender. Add sausage; cook and stir until lightly browned. Add broth, beans and seasonings. Cover and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Discard bay leaves. Serve in a bowl over rice or pasta.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 326 calories, 9g fat (0 saturated fat), 36mg cholesterol, 716mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 21g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 1 meat.
Nov 5, 2013
Made this without the hot sauce, and with two 14-oz sausages instead of one. We really liked it. It was simple, but very filling, and the sausage, beans, and rice went well together.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.