Smoky White Beans & Ham
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + soaking Cook: 6 hours
- 1 pound dried great northern beans
- 3 smoked ham hocks
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken or beef broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- Thinly sliced green onions, optional
- Rinse and sort beans; soak according to package directions.
- Drain and rinse beans, discarding liquid. Transfer beans to a 6-qt. slow cooker. Add ham hocks. Stir in onion, broth, water and seasonings. Cook, covered, on low 6-8 hours or until beans are tender.
- Remove meat from bones when cool enough to handle; cut ham into small pieces and return to slow cooker. Serve with a slotted spoon. Sprinkle with onions if desired.
Nutrition Facts2/3 cup: 195 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 505mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 10g fiber), 15g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat.
Jul 22, 2017
I am currently soaking my dried beans. it's after midnight here. early in the morning I'll buy my smoked ham hocks and all will go in the Crocker. will report back when dinner is done. gonna serve with spongy home made crusty bread and simple green salad with mayo/ketchup/s&p/sweet relish/dijon as dressingwell, man is this tooooo salty and I love salt. tried adding small handful of raw unbleached sugar as sugar cuts salt, nope, then added more water, nope, put in a couple tablespoons of sour cream, nope. is this a complete wash? I did think of putting in either a small amount of vinegar/red wine/coffee.HELP? how do I save this please&thank you.
Jan 11, 2017
I really liked the flavor of this recipe and it made a lot! My only negative was that I thought it was very salty even though I used the reduced sodium chicken broth. Perhaps that was from the ham hocks. Adding some diced potatoes would maybe counteract the saltiness. The recipe was very easy to make and the house smelled wonderful while it was cooking!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.