Smoky Sweet Potato and Black Bean Enchiladas
Total TimePrep Time: 25 min. Cook Time: 35 min.
- 1 large sweet potato, cubed
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) enchilada sauce
- 12 corn tortillas (6 inches), warmed
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- Optional toppings: cubed avocado, sour cream, salsa, minced cilantro and hot sauce
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a large saucepan, place steamer basket over 1 in. of water. Place sweet potato, onion and red pepper in basket. Bring water to a boil. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer; steam, covered, until tender, about 15-20 minutes.
- Transfer vegetables to a large bowl. Mash vegetables, gradually adding cilantro, spices and pepper to reach desired consistency. Stir in black beans.
- Spread 1/3 cup enchilada sauce into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Place 1/3 cup vegetable mixture in center on each tortilla; sprinkle with 4 teaspoons cheese. Roll up and place in prepared dish, seam side down. Top with remaining enchilada sauce; sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, 20-25 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted. If desired, serve with optional toppings.
- Freeze option: Cover and freeze unbaked enchiladas. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 375°. Cover casserole with foil; bake until casserole is heated through, sauce is bubbling and cheese is melted, 30-35 minutes. Serve as directed.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts2 enchiladas: 399 calories, 14g fat (7g saturated fat), 34mg cholesterol, 843mg sodium, 52g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 8g fiber), 18g protein.
Dec 7, 2019
Great recipe. I made my own enchilada sauce and the combination was just great. Next time I will add shredded chicken, per my husbands request.
Apr 15, 2019
These were outstanding! The filling has a lot of flavor and I love the amount of vegetables in the filling.
Mar 4, 2019
We’re vegan, so we omitted the Monterey Jack and dairy sour cream, replacing them with non-dairy product. This recipe was super! We’re putting it into our “favorites” file, for sure!
Feb 25, 2019
This recipe is over-the-top wonderful (even great reheating the frozen leftovers). I served it for a big family gathering recently,along with regular chicken enchiladas (I have a varied family mix of carnivores and vegans!), and these were the total favorite for EVERYone. I added some vegan chorizo, as well, for a bit more punch and texture. I'm a dietitian, and to have something this great be mostly healthy, as well, is definitely impressive--and a keeper! Can use vegan cheese or regular cheese (I made it both ways).
Jan 28, 2019
I am always on the lookout for great vegetarian recipes. These enchiladas are wonderful and so easy to make.