Instant Pot Black Beans
Instant Pot black beans are the key to a lot of my family's meals, whether it's for a weekend breakfast or taco salads and burritos throughout the week. I've been trying for years to find a homemade recipe as creamy and tasty as Mexican restaurant beans. This is that recipe. —Helen Nelander, Boulder Creek, California
Total TimePrep/Cook time: 15 min.
- 2 pounds dried black beans (about 4-1/2 cups)
- 4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 12 cups water, divided
- 1/2 cup lard
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- Queso fresco and cilantro, optional
- Rinse and sort beans. Transfer to a 6-qt. electric pressure cooker. Add two teaspoons salt and 7 cups water. Lock lid; close pressure-release valve. Adjust to high pressure-cook on high for 2 minutes. Let pressure release naturally for 20 minutes; quick release any remaining pressure. Press cancel.
- Drain beans; discard liquid. Return beans to pressure-cooker. Add remaining water, salt and lard. Lock lid; close pressure-release valve. Adjust to high pressure-cook on high for 25 minutes. Allow pressure to naturally release for 10 minutes and then quick-release any remaining pressure; do not drain. Press cancel.
- If desired, mash or puree beans in broth and sprinkle with queso fresco and cilantro.
Test Kitchen tips