Molasses Baked Beans
Total TimePrep: 1 hour 25 min. + soaking Bake: 2 hours
- 2 pounds dried navy beans
- 5 quarts water, divided
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1-1/2 cups ketchup
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 2 large onions, quartered
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon Liquid Smoke or barbecue sauce
- Place beans and 2-1/2 qts. water in a 6-qt. Dutch oven; bring to a boil and boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; soak for 1 hour. Drain and rinse beans; return to pan with remaining water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until beans are tender. Drain, reserving cooking liquid. Return beans to pan; add remaining ingredients and mix well. Cover and bake at 350° for 2 to 2-1/2 hours or until beans reach desired consistency, stirring occasionally. Add some of the reserved cooking liquid if too thick.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 308 calories, 10g fat (6g saturated fat), 25mg cholesterol, 729mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 12g fiber), 11g protein.
Jun 25, 2017
Nothing taste much better than these beans with your favorite barbecued meat and potato salad. Yum!
Mar 10, 2012
I made it in a crock pot, added ham steak, used pinto instead of navy beans, and left out the liquid smoke. It was really good, but I prefer my baked beans to be more sweet than savory--reducing the ketchup to 1 cup would fix this no problem.Even my husband, who hates beans, loved this.
Jan 9, 2011
Best beans ever. Taste even better next day & freeze well!