Tangy Pot Roast
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 7 hours
- 3 medium potatoes, thinly sliced
- 1-1/3 cups thinly sliced fresh carrots
- 2/3 cup sliced onion
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (3 pounds)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup Catalina salad dressing
- 1/4 cup dry red wine or beef broth
- Place the potatoes, carrots and onion in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Cut roast in half; rub with salt and pepper. Place over vegetables. Combine salad dressing and wine; pour over roast.
- Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours or until meat is tender. Skim fat from cooking juices; thicken juices if desired.
Nutrition Facts6 ounce-weight: 572 calories, 28g fat (9g saturated fat), 147mg cholesterol, 772mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 3g fiber), 47g protein.
Feb 23, 2015
It was ok. Not fabulous. I'm not sure I'll ever make it again.
Mar 30, 2014
Very good and easy. So nice to prepare this recipe for Sunday dinner, and just sit back with a glass of wine and relax until dinner time. I was a little afraid of how it would come out, but it was fine - not too tomatoey. Since I lacked the time called for in the recipe, I cooked it on high for 4 1/2 hours and it came out great. Thickening the gravy is a good idea, and I will do that next time. Simple, good recipes like this one are the reason I subscribe to Taste of Home!
Apr 17, 2013
This was good. The tang didn't really come thru, but it was still good. Nothing remarkable.
Feb 10, 2013
I substituted a large jar of Brown Gravy for the Wine & it was excellent.
Nov 9, 2010
Not too sweet, not too tangy, but wow, who needs butter on those potatoes!? The carrots were amazing! I am sharing this on my FB page!
Aug 1, 2010
My boyfriend loves this!
Feb 6, 2010
Trying this recipe is part of my month of slow cooking, in response to high power bills! Also I am never sure when my husband will be home and its hard to plan dinners that way. So we would end up eating junk or take out. This way he can eat when he gets home and its not ruined. This was a tasty dish, I did make extra sauce at the end of the cook time but it was great. More sweet than tangy , you couldn't taste the wine like in similar recipes I've tried. So you may want to adjust the ingredients to your liking. I would use more wine next time and maybe some broth too. I don't like cooked carrots but ate them up in this sauce!