Tangy Beef and Vegetable Stew
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 5-3/4 hours
- 6 cups cubed peeled potatoes (1/2-inch pieces)
- 8 medium carrots, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 medium onions, cubed
- 4 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 3 cups boiling water
- 1/3 cup white vinegar
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 3 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 cups each frozen peas and corn
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- Place the potatoes, carrots and onions in a 6-qt. slow cooker. In a large skillet, brown beef in oil in batches; place over the vegetables. Sprinkle with flour.
- Dissolve bouillon in boiling water. Stir in the vinegar, ketchup, horseradish, mustard and sugar; pour over meat and vegetables. Cover and cook on high for 5 hours.
- Add the peas, corn and mushrooms. Cover and cook on high for 45 minutes longer or until meat and vegetables are tender.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 334 calories, 13g fat (4g saturated fat), 71mg cholesterol, 397mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 4g fiber), 26g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jul 8, 2017
This hearty stew is so yummy on a cold blustery day!! The flavors here come together to make it a keeper
May 29, 2014
This stew just did not do it for our family. It just came out bitter tasting. We love horseradish so I don't think it was that but more likely the combination of the vinegar and the mustard. I ended up adding twice as much sugar and some beef gravy to take away the tart taste and salvage the 4 pounds of stew meat. It's just a matter of taste and I knew the sour flavor just wasn't going to fly with my kids.
Aug 21, 2012
I make this stew fairly often during the colder months. It is hands down the best stew you will ever eat!
Jan 11, 2012
YUMMY! Very easy, good flavor and it makes a lot. I didn't change a thing. Great recipe.
May 15, 2011
Best Beef Stew I've ever had. Wouldn't change a thing!
Dec 2, 2010
Great, I added some green chilis