Loaded Vegetable Beef Stew
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Cook: 8-1/2 hours
Makes12 servings (1-1/3 cups each)
- 8 bacon strips, diced
- 3 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 6 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 6 medium tomatoes, peeled and cut into wedges
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 cups cubed peeled butternut squash
- 2 medium green peppers, chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) beef broth
- 6 cups chopped cabbage
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels to drain. In the drippings, brown beef in batches. Refrigerate the bacon until serving.
- In a 6-qt. slow cooker, combine the carrots, tomatoes, potatoes, squash, green peppers, thyme and garlic. Top with beef. Pour broth over the top. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours.
- Stir in cabbage and pepper. Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes or until cabbage is tender. Sprinkle each serving with bacon.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 336 calories, 15g fat (5g saturated fat), 81mg cholesterol, 516mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 5g fiber), 27g protein.
Mar 1, 2015
Made this recipe exactly as written, just made 1/2 batch! It is excellent, meat was so tender and everyone commented on the great smells while cooking. Agree with some of the other reviews as needing a little seasoning. Great comfort food! Thank you for another yummy recipe!
Jul 25, 2014
Amazingly delicious!! I love cooking with squashes, but my family is not a big fan of it. This is a great stew that pleased everyone.
Jan 20, 2013
Really good. A great comfort food. I did use canned tomatoes instead of fresh. I also halved the recipe and it still made a ton!
Sep 11, 2012
Great recipe. I had to add onion and garlic with the beef for my obsessive family. I also halved the bacon to reduce the fat a little. Thanks for sharing.
Oct 20, 2010
This was so good! I agree that it does need a little more seasoning, but, that is pretty typical of any stew and was easy enough to adjust. I think next time I will add an onion. Also, I halved the recipe and it totally filled my 3 1/2 qt crock pot. Delicious!
Sep 28, 2010
The texture of this stew was perfect - the meat melt in your mouth and the veggies were so tender. It needed more seasoning, though.
Apr 3, 2010
Only change I made was to substitute a can of petite diced tomatoes (undrained) for the tomatoes. This dish should rate 10 stars! I was told to throw out my other beef stew recipes and only keep this one! It is really awesome!
May 6, 2009
I made a half-batch of this last weekend and both my husband and I loved it. It's a very light stew (more like a soup) and full of flavor. I wasn't sure about the butternut squash, so I added just a little, but it totally disappeared. It must have added to the flavor, though.
Mar 29, 2009
I don;t know what going on but would not let me me in said was not a subscriber but I am Shelia
Mar 29, 2009
I made this yesterday. I never would think of tomatoes in beef stew, but it was all delicious. My husband wanted thirds!!