Scalloped Potatoes with Ham
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 1 hour 20 min.
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 6 cups thinly sliced peeled potatoes
- 1-1/2 cups chopped fully cooked ham
- 1 small onion, grated
- In a large saucepan, melt 4 tablespoons butter. Stir in flour, parsley, salt, thyme and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- Combine potatoes, ham and onion; place half in a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. Top with half of the sauce; repeat layers.
- Cover and bake at 375° for 65-75 minutes or until potatoes are almost tender. Dot with remaining butter. Bake, uncovered, 15-20 minutes longer or until potatoes are tender.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 521 calories, 28g fat (16g saturated fat), 99mg cholesterol, 2343mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 5g fiber), 19g protein.
Sep 25, 2018
I followed the recipe but I also added 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese which I sprinkled over the middle layer and the top layer. I also used two cups of milk instead of 3 because I didn't read the directions correctly; it still turned out amazing!
Apr 11, 2018
This was delicious. I skipped the thyme as I am not a fan. I also cut back on the onion as we are not onion lovers either. My daughter was not enthused but ended up having two helpings as did my son-in-law. I think it would feed more than 4. We have hearty appetites, and had plenty left over.
Apr 8, 2018
Perfect the way it is. My husband said it was just like his mom made!
Jan 7, 2018
This dish is so very good. My daughter gifted me some Vasina Rossa Truffle & Salt that I used for the salt called for in the recipe. The added flavor was subtle but was very enjoyable.
Dec 25, 2017
Good comfort food recipe. Only 4 stars because of the nutritional info. Recipe says 4 servings. There are about 9 cups of ingredients and nutritional info is for 1 cup?
Jan 5, 2017
I remembered my grandmother making this after a ham dinner around the holidays so I had to go for it and I don't even like to cook. It sure was a cross pleaser even with my picky granddaughters.
Nov 4, 2016
This was fantastic.
Oct 28, 2016
This recipe is my "go-to" when i want to make something that everyone will love. Every single person who I serve it to has seconds or thirds. I have to make two casseroles at a time, and those are gone in less than two days. Great way to use leftover ham! Definitely takes longer than 15 min to prep, since you have to peel and scallop the potatoes!
Apr 3, 2016
Delicious but it took longer to prep. Great way to use leftover ham.
Mar 21, 2016
I tried this last night and it was good but mine came very liquidy not like the picture shows. I followed the ingredients but used whole milk instead of 2%. I had to drain some of the juice. Don't know why.