Mashed Potatoes with Ham
"Mashed Potatoes with Ham evolved from scalloped potatoes, which are tasty but time-consuming to bake. "I warmed up leftover mashed potatoes, then decided to throw in some ham to save a dish," Kathy explains. "The next time I made it, I added a cheese and crumb topping to give this casserole an appealing golden look."
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3-1/2 to 4 cups hot mashed potatoes (prepared with milk with butter)
- 1-1/2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1/4 teaspoon onion salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup crushed cornflakes
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, combine onion and 1 tablespoon of butter. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 2 minutes or until tender, stirring once. Add potatoes, ham, onion salt and pepper; mix well. Transfer to a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with cheese and cornflakes; dot with remaining butter. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 15 minutes or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 349 calories, 14g fat (8g saturated fat), 58mg cholesterol, 1020mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 6g fiber), 16g protein.
Originally published as Mashed Potatoes with Ham in Quick Cooking January/February 2000
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.