Scalloped Potatoes with Mushrooms
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 15 min. + standing
- 2 pounds potatoes (about 4 medium), peeled and sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1 cup coarsely chopped fresh spinach
- 2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°. Place potatoes in a large saucepan; add water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered, 8-12 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- Meanwhile, in another saucepan, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and onion; cook and stir 6-8 minutes or until tender. Stir in garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- In a small bowl, whisk flour, broth and seasonings until smooth; stir into mushroom mixture. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until sauce is thickened. Remove from heat; stir in sour cream.
- Arrange half of the potatoes in a greased 1-1/2-qt. or 8-in. square baking dish; top with spinach. Spread half of the hot mushroom sauce over top; sprinkle with 1 cup cheese. Layer with remaining potatoes, sauce and cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, 12-15 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 269 calories, 14g fat (9g saturated fat), 49mg cholesterol, 471mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 11g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 26, 2019
Tasted very good, and would have been just as good without as much cheese. I do have two comments though. First, the prep time was more like an hour and 15 minutes for me. Now, I am certainly not the fastest cook in the world, but I'm not super slow either. Second, no way will this fit in a 1 1/2 quart dish. It was to the absolute top of my 2 quart dish.
Apr 6, 2015
This is a tasty alternative to my regular scalloped potatoes recipe. We all loved the addition of spinach and mushrooms. Great for potlucks or holidays!
Mar 29, 2015
Easy and tasty. We're not big onion lovers so I used half a small onion. Smelled delicious, tasted just as good.