Pork Chops with Scalloped Potatoes
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 1-1/2 hours
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 6 pork rib or loin chops (3/4 inch thick)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- Additional salt and pepper, optional
- 6 cups thinly sliced peeled potatoes
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- Paprika and minced fresh parsley, optional
- In a small saucepan, melt butter; stir in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Add broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- In a large skillet, brown the pork chops on both sides in oil; sprinkle with additional salt and pepper if desired.
- In a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish, layer potatoes and onion. Pour broth mixture over layers. Place pork chops on top.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 1 hour; uncover and bake 30 minutes longer or until meat and potatoes are tender. If desired, sprinkle with paprika and parsley.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 574 calories, 29g fat (11g saturated fat), 128mg cholesterol, 1015mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 40g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 12, 2019
Great recipe! Family loved it. Will make again.
Feb 6, 2019
I have used this recipe several times and is easy to make and everyone love's it
Jan 14, 2019
Delicious and easy to make.
Jan 3, 2019
I have a similar recipe. My recipe follows as yours, I just add pimentos. Great recipe.
Nov 12, 2018
Nov 1, 2018
This sounds amazing. Does anyone know how long to cook it for two pork chops?
Mar 24, 2018
Used the onion soup marinade. Also put chicken broth in pan after Browning pork chops to get the flavor from Browning and then added it to the roux. Also saiutade onions. Excellent.
Mar 23, 2018
I didn't make any changes and found this recipe using one sliced onion would have been much better with less onion.
Mar 21, 2018
Put a package of lipton onion soup mix in the chicken broth in a gallon freezer bag with the pork chops. shake it up and put in refrigerator over nite. then proceed with step 1. Not enough flavor is solved. slice potatoes thin and only bake 1 hour for juicy chops. with you roux and onion powder soup it is not runny and VERY flavorful.
Mar 21, 2018
I followed what the reviewer Wintere suggested and OMG - will make these again. They were fantastic. But I cut the entire recipe down for 2 since there is only me. Thanks again.