Pork Chops with Scalloped Potatoes
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 1-1/2 hours
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 6 pork rib or loin chops (3/4 inch thick)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- Additional salt and pepper, optional
- 6 cups thinly sliced peeled potatoes
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- Paprika and minced fresh parsley, optional
- In a small saucepan, melt butter; stir in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Add broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- In a large skillet, brown the pork chops on both sides in oil; sprinkle with additional salt and pepper if desired.
- In a greased 13x9-in. baking dish, layer potatoes and onion. Pour broth mixture over layers. Place pork chops on top.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 1 hour; uncover and bake 30 minutes longer or until meat and potatoes are tender. If desired, sprinkle with paprika and parsley.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 574 calories, 29g fat (11g saturated fat), 128mg cholesterol, 1015mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 40g protein.
Dec 11, 2019
This recipe was easy to downsize, l used 4 chops. I enjoyed the broth instead of milk. I'd make it both ways in the future. I served it with oven baked onions. Nice combo. Janet. VFE
Aug 24, 2019
I love all of your recipes but I wish you would say how many it feeds.
Aug 5, 2019
Perfect and extremely tasty and easy!
Jun 30, 2019
Pork chops aren't always my first choice but love this recipe. Whole family enjoys it.
Jun 26, 2019
For my heart patient husband I had to leave out the coconut (regretfully) but otherwise followed the recipe.By far the BEST carrot cake EVER! I finally just printed out a bunch of recipes to hand out, everybody raved over it and it is even better the next day (if there is any left over!)
Jun 4, 2019
This recipe had great flavor. It was fancy enough to serve to guests, but easy enough for an anytime dish. Leftovers were amazing too.
Mar 21, 2019
MADE THIS TONIGHT. I USED MILK INSTEAD OF BROTH AND ADDED CHEESE INTO THE SAUCE AND IN BETWEEN THE LAYERS....YUMMY
Mar 20, 2019
Yummy. Will make it again. Mom many years ago would make it. Did not last very long. Mom said that the potatoes tasted a lot better the next day. This is my go to recipe.
Mar 19, 2019
I make my scalloped potatoes with cream of mushroom or a cream soup of any kind .I cut the soup with 1/2 can milk The soup gives it much flavor and no need to make a white sauce. It's a lot easier and delicious.
Feb 24, 2019
I found a similar recipe in (dare I say it?): a Betty Crocker cookbook years ago. It actually uses the BC scalloped potatoes in a box. Super easy. Of course anything home made beats box, but when you're short on time you do what you have to do. I adore TOH recipes.