Pork Chops with Scalloped Potatoes
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 1-1/2 hours
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 6 pork rib or loin chops (3/4 inch thick)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- Additional salt and pepper, optional
- 6 cups thinly sliced peeled potatoes
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- Paprika and minced fresh parsley, optional
- In a small saucepan, melt butter; stir in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Add broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- In a large skillet, brown the pork chops on both sides in oil; sprinkle with additional salt and pepper if desired.
- In a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish, layer potatoes and onion. Pour broth mixture over layers. Place pork chops on top.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 1 hour; uncover and bake 30 minutes longer or until meat and potatoes are tender. If desired, sprinkle with paprika and parsley.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 574 calories, 29g fat (11g saturated fat), 128mg cholesterol, 1015mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 40g protein.
Mar 24, 2018
Used the onion soup marinade. Also put chicken broth in pan after Browning pork chops to get the flavor from Browning and then added it to the roux. Also saiutade onions. Excellent.
Mar 23, 2018
I didn't make any changes and found this recipe using one sliced onion would have been much better with less onion.
Mar 21, 2018
Put a package of lipton onion soup mix in the chicken broth in a gallon freezer bag with the pork chops. shake it up and put in refrigerator over nite. then proceed with step 1. Not enough flavor is solved. slice potatoes thin and only bake 1 hour for juicy chops. with you roux and onion powder soup it is not runny and VERY flavorful.
Mar 21, 2018
I followed what the reviewer Wintere suggested and OMG - will make these again. They were fantastic. But I cut the entire recipe down for 2 since there is only me. Thanks again.
Mar 21, 2018
A friend fixed this dinner for us many years ago. We loved it and got the recipe from her. This is one of my husband's favorite dishes. It's a winner!
Mar 21, 2018
I used boneless/skinless cutlets.Excellent Dish.
Feb 13, 2018
Wow!!! Just finished cleaning up after making these for dinner tonight. Everyone loved them! I liked the fact that the pork chops stayed moist, but crispy at the same time; Baking them with the potatoes make it simple. I coated the pork chops in 1/2 C Flour 1 tsp Paprika 1/2 tsp Salt 1/2 tsp Pepper 1 tsp Oregano. For the sauce, I chopped the onion and sauteed it in the butter, added 3 TBS of the seasoned flour mixture, and followed the rest of the recipe as written. I served this with a side of steamed carrots and buttermilk biscuits. Yum!! Thank you so much for sharing. I will make this one of my regular recipes for Pork Chops.
Jan 31, 2018
Great potato sauce - better than any cream of XXXX soup
Jan 30, 2018
I have a recipe by the same name, but it's a bit different. You dredge the pork chops in seasoned flour, then saute them in oil in a skillet till browned. Then remove the pork chops, add 1 tablespoon to the drippings in the pan, add more seasoning if needed, then add 1 cup milk. Cook on medium heat until thick. Slice potatoes and onions and layer in a baking dish. Pour gravy over the potatoes and onions, then top with the pork chops. Bake at 400 degrees, covered, for 45 minutes. Remove cover and bake for another 15 minutes....delicious
Jan 21, 2018
Unfortunately I felt like this recipe had very little taste. I won't be making it again.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.