Autumn Pork Roast
Although this main meal captures the fabulous flavor of fall, don't hesitate to serve it throughout the year. Your family will flock to the table when they smell this delicious roast. It's a hearty dish that makes everyday dinners more special.—Kathy Barbarek, Joliet, Illinois
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 2-1/2 hours
- 1 bone-in pork loin roast (5 pounds)
- 8 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 8 carrots, halved lengthwise
- 2 medium onions, quartered
- 1 small pumpkin or butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1-1/2-inch chunks
- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons snipped fresh sage or 1 tablespoon rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 baking apples, quartered
- Place the roast in a large baking pan. Arrange potatoes, carrots, onions and pumpkin around roast. Add water to the pan. Sprinkle meat and vegetables with sage, salt and pepper; dot vegetables with butter. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°; bake, uncovered, for 1 hour. Place the apples around roast; cover and bake for 1-1/4 hours, basting every 30 minutes, or until a thermometer reads 160°-170°. If desired, thicken pan juices for gravy.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 359 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 76mg cholesterol, 295mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 7g fiber), 30g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 2-1/2 starch.
Sep 8, 2010
A favorite at our house! Can't wait for butternut squash to arrive at our farmer's market again!
Oct 19, 2009
tjis was soooo gooood & soooo eeeeasy!!!Made it for my family & I am taking it to my Grandaughters to share with her family.