Sunday Pot Roast
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + chilling Cook: 8 hours
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon onion salt
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 boneless pork loin roast (3-1/2 to 4 pounds), trimmed
- 6 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces
- 3 large potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 3 small onions, quartered
- 1-1/2 cups beef broth
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 1/4 teaspoon browning sauce, optional
- Combine first five ingredients; rub over roast. Wrap in plastic; refrigerate overnight.
- Place carrots, potatoes and onions in a 6-qt. slow cooker; add broth. Unwrap roast; place in slow cooker. Cook, covered, on low until meat and vegetables are tender, 8-10 hours.
- Transfer roast and vegetables to a serving platter; tent with foil. Pour cooking juices into a small saucepan. Mix flour and water until smooth; stir into pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, about 2 minutes. If desired, add browning sauce. Serve roast with gravy and vegetables.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 217 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 57mg cholesterol, 230mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 24g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch.
Aug 19, 2017
It was good but nothing special. Meat was tender and juicy. I would wait to add the potatoes until about 2 hours before the roast is done. I probably won't make again.
Jun 25, 2017
I love this recipe, I cook this meal 3-4 times/yr, even when it's not cool outside. I have recomnended it to many.I cook it in the oven @ 250 degrees for 7-8hrs until pork is done, w/everything sealed tightly in heavy duty foil, so it doesn't get dried out & cooks evenly; because my large crockpot only cooks on high This recipe comes out wonderfully moist as if it was cooked in a crock pot. Thank you, for sharing it w/all of us. Lise
Dec 15, 2016
This was absolutely delicious! We were so hungry I forgot to make the gravy, but the roast and vegetables with the broth spooned over top was amazing. This is a keeper
Dec 1, 2016
I haven't tried it yet but would it change the taste if I didn't peel the carrots and potatoes? Because isn't that where most of nutrients are, in the skin?
Nov 13, 2016
Very good. I did add a little salt and pepper to the gravy!!!!
Oct 8, 2016
Wonderful flavors from this herb-seasoned pork loin and veggie combo! And so tender. I make mashed potatoes for the gravy to nestle in--that's what the guys in my family crave--and just put in extra carrots and onions in the crock. Have made this several times.
Oct 4, 2016
I have prepared this twice. Great flavor and lots of ways to use any leftovers. The pork is fork tender. Many requests for the recipe!
Aug 27, 2016
Since I had a busy day planned, I took advantage of my slow cooker. Since I grow my own herbs, I was able to take advantage of fresh herbs. The house smelled so good with this cooking all day. Meat was so tender that it literally fell apart getting it out of the slow cooker. Definitely a keeper.
Aug 23, 2016
Made this beautiful, slow cooker dinner as is. House smelled divine and tasted even more divine!
Aug 22, 2016
This recipe did a great job making the roast so tender and I love when you can have an all in one meal that cooks in the slow cooker. However my husband and daughter did not like the caraway seed so I will not make this again, though I might adjust with different seasoning in the rub to come up with a flavor we all can like.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.