Saturday Afternoon Oven Pot Roast
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 3 hours
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (2-1/2 pounds)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 cups sliced sweet onion
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1 carton (32 ounces) reduced-sodium beef broth
- 6 medium carrots, cut into 1-1/2 inch pieces
- 1/2 pound medium fresh mushrooms, quartered
- Preheat oven to 325°. Sprinkle roast with salt and pepper.
- In a Dutch oven, heat oil and butter over medium-high heat; brown roast on all sides. Remove from pan. Add onion to the same pan; cook and stir over medium heat until tender, 8-10 minutes. Add tomato paste, garlic, thyme and celery seed; cook and stir 1 minute longer.
- Add wine, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan; stir in broth. Return roast to pan. Arrange carrots and mushrooms around roast; bring to a boil. Bake, covered, until meat is fork-tender, 2-1/2 to 3 hours. If desired, skim fat and thicken cooking juices for gravy.
Nutrition Facts4 ounces cooked beef with 1/2 cup vegetables and 1/4 cup gravy: 339 calories, 17g fat (6g saturated fat), 98mg cholesterol, 621mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 2g fiber), 32g protein.
May 21, 2019
I made this in the slow cooker, and just used less liquid. House smelled amazing! Tender and flavorful! I couldn’t stop eating it, not enough left for a second dinner.
Apr 10, 2019
A good beef dish should be juicy and full of aroma https://web.facebook.com/cookingplushomedecor/?modal=admin_todo_tour
Mar 11, 2019
I prepared this dish exactly according to the recipe . . .except that I added 1 cup of cabernet sauvignon instead of 1/2 cup. I regret that I did that. I also regret that I added the tomato paste which this recipe called for. I believe that there are many other pot roast recipes that I would prefer instead of this one next time.