Saturday Afternoon Oven Pot Roast
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 3 hours
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (2-1/2 pounds)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 cups sliced sweet onion
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1 carton (32 ounces) reduced-sodium beef broth
- 6 medium carrots, cut into 1-1/2 inch pieces
- 1/2 pound medium fresh mushrooms, quartered
- Preheat oven to 325°. Sprinkle roast with salt and pepper.
- In a Dutch oven, heat oil and butter over medium-high heat; brown roast on all sides. Remove from pan. Add onion to the same pan; cook and stir over medium heat until tender, 8-10 minutes. Add tomato paste, garlic, thyme and celery seed; cook and stir 1 minute longer.
- Add wine, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan; stir in broth. Return roast to pan. Arrange carrots and mushrooms around roast; bring to a boil. Bake, covered, until meat is fork-tender, 2-1/2 to 3 hours. If desired, skim fat and thicken cooking juices for gravy.
Nutrition Facts4 ounces cooked beef with 1/2 cup vegetables and 1/4 cup gravy: 339 calories, 17g fat (6g saturated fat), 98mg cholesterol, 621mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 2g fiber), 32g protein.
Nov 25, 2019
I made this recipe twice. My guests loved it. First time I made it in the Instant Pot and added extra liquid so I would have drippings for gravy. It wasn’t really needed. My second time I used the oven, did not use wine because of my guests preference, and it was still fork tender. Very tasty!
Nov 25, 2019
I made this last night and it was fabulous! I'll never buy another envelope of seasoning mix. Thank you!
Nov 24, 2019
Do you have this recipe for an Instant Pot?
May 21, 2019
I made this in the slow cooker, and just used less liquid. House smelled amazing! Tender and flavorful! I couldn’t stop eating it, not enough left for a second dinner.
Apr 10, 2019
A good beef dish should be juicy and full of aroma https://web.facebook.com/cookingplushomedecor/?modal=admin_todo_tour
Mar 11, 2019
I prepared this dish exactly according to the recipe . . .except that I added 1 cup of cabernet sauvignon instead of 1/2 cup. I regret that I did that. I also regret that I added the tomato paste which this recipe called for. I believe that there are many other pot roast recipes that I would prefer instead of this one next time.