Perfect Pot Roast
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 2-1/2 hours
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 beef chuck pot roast (3 to 4 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- All-purpose flour
- Combine first four ingredients; rub onto roast. In a skillet, brown roast in oil. Place in a roasting pan. Add water, onion, green pepper, garlic and seasonings. Cover and bake at 325° for 2-1/2 to 3 hours or until roast is tender.
- Remove and keep warm. Discard bay leaf. Skim fat from pan juices. Measure juices and transfer to a saucepan.
- For each cup of juices, combine 1 tablespoon flour with 2 tablespoons water; mix well. Stir flour mixture into pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve gravy with roast.
Mar 7, 2018
Everyone loves this recipe. I omit the green pepper and use 2 cups hot water with 2 Tones Bouillon cubes dissolved in the water. Other brands of bouillon cubes could change the taste and make it bitter.I also make two chuck roasts as it freezes very well.I give it five stars as it’s a winner of a recipe.
Jul 7, 2017
Perfect comfort food at it's best!! This is a special Sunday Dinner item that everyone loves!!
Apr 4, 2016
I made the roast yesterday, according to the recipe, except that I used two shallots instead of the onion. A 3 1/2 pound boneless chuck roast was cooked to a tender texture with just a bit of pink inside, in 3 1/2 hours. I chilled the meat overnight, which let me slice it very thin today. The flavor and texture are both great! I will use this recipe again.
Feb 27, 2015
Loved this! I didn't have bay leaves when I made it, wish I had, but it was still very good. Used leftovers for bbq beef sandwiches. And I used cornstarch instead of flour to make the gravy. Works much better!
Dec 28, 2012
My husband and I thought this was very tasty, and I like the fact that canned soups and/or broth are not necessary.
Nov 16, 2012
I have been making this pot roast since I found the recipe back in 1996 in my "Best of Country Cooking" 2nd edition cookbook. It is by far our favorite beef roast recipe. The juices also make a great gravy!
Sep 13, 2011
This really is a good pot roast recipe, and I've tried many. We were given a handful of a variety of small peppers from a friend's garden. We didn't know if they were sweet or hot, so we just chopped them all up and threw them in with this roast. When it was all cooked, we placed shreds of the roast and the peppers and onions in freshly baked tortillas and had the best "fajitas" I've ever had.
Feb 14, 2011
This is my families favorite roast. I am always asked to make this. It has wonderful flavors and is probly the best roast recipe I have ever tried.
Feb 5, 2009
This was really good. My husband who does not like roast liked this. He even said he would eat it again.