Old-World Pork Roast
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 2 hours
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 boneless pork loin roast (3 to 4 pounds), trimmed
- 1/2 teaspoon browning sauce, optional
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Potato dumplings or mashed potatoes, optional
- In a small bowl, combine caraway seeds, sage, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; rub over roast. Place roast on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 2 hours or until a thermometer reads 160°-170°. Remove roast from pan; keep warm. Pour pan drippings into a large measuring cup; add enough water to equals 2 cups. Pour into a small saucepan; add browning sauce if desired, cornstarch, and remaining salt and pepper. Stir until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Slice roast; serve with gravy and dumplings or potatoes if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 219 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 85mg cholesterol, 418mg sodium, 2g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 33g protein.
May 13, 2015
I really enjoy this roast, it's tender and delicious every time. Leftover sliced roast, makes a tasty sandwich on an onion roll. My husband enjoys the leftovers as much as the dinner.
Dec 28, 2007
This is one of my favorite recipes, and thanks for posting it. I just remembered I have a pork roast in the freezer, and I intend to fix this for my family in the coming week.