Sunday Dinner Brisket
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Cook: 8 hours
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 4 cups sliced onions (about 4 medium)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 fresh beef brisket (4 to 5 pounds)
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium beef broth
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add onions; cook and stir until softened. Sprinkle with garlic and brown sugar. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook until onions are golden brown, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes. Transfer to an oval 6-qt. slow cooker.
- If necessary to fit skillet, cut brisket in half. Sprinkle brisket with flour and shake off excess. In skillet, heat remaining oil over medium heat. Brown both sides of brisket; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place in slow cooker over onions.
- Add vinegar to skillet; increase heat to medium-high. Cook, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Stir in broth, tomato paste, Italian seasoning, Worcestershire sauce and paprika until blended. Pour over brisket. Cook, covered, on low until meat is tender, 8-10 hours.
- Remove brisket; keep warm. Transfer cooking juices to a saucepan; skim fat and bring to a boil. In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into cooking juices. Return to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, 1-2 minutes.
- Cut brisket diagonally across the grain into thin slices. Serve with sauce.
Editor's NoteThis is a fresh beef brisket, not corned beef.
Nutrition Facts5 ounces cooked beef with 1/3 cup sauce: 319 calories, 12g fat (4g saturated fat), 78mg cholesterol, 381mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 39g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 5 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 fat.
Feb 16, 2020
This was excellent, made exactly as written. Meat was so tender and the sauce was terrific. Pretty easy to make and then just let it cook all day. I will be making this again!
Jan 26, 2020
I have a top round piece of beef. Do you think this recipe could possibly work with this cut of beef? It doesn’t have much fat on it.