Sunday Dinner Brisket
We loved how tender this brisket came out of the slow cooker. The sauce has a robust, beefy flavor with a slight tang from the balsamic vinegar, and the rich caramelized onions complete the dish.—Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Cook: 8 hours
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 4 cups sliced onions (about 4 medium)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 fresh beef brisket (4 to 5 pounds)
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium beef broth
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add onions; cook and stir until softened. Sprinkle with garlic and brown sugar. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook 10 minutes or until onions are golden brown, stirring occasionally. Transfer to an oval 6-qt. slow cooker.
- If necessary to fit skillet, cut brisket in half. Sprinkle brisket with flour and shake off excess. In skillet, heat remaining oil over medium heat. Brown both sides of brisket; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place in slow cooker over onions.
- Add vinegar to skillet; increase heat to medium-high. Cook, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Stir in broth, tomato paste, Italian seasoning, Worcestershire sauce and paprika until blended. Pour over brisket. Cook, covered, on low 8-10 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove brisket; keep warm. Transfer cooking juices to a saucepan; skim fat and bring to a boil. In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into cooking juices. Return to a boil; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened.
- Cut brisket diagonally across the grain into thin slices. Serve with sauce.
Editor's NoteThis is a fresh beef brisket, not corned beef.
Nutrition Facts5 ounces cooked beef with 1/3 cup sauce: 319 calories, 12g fat (4g saturated fat), 78mg cholesterol, 381mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 39g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 5 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 fat.
Originally published as Sunday Dinner Brisket in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes 2013
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.