Slow-Cooked Sunday Chicken
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 6 hours
- 2 small carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 celery rib, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 cup cut fresh green beans (2-inch pieces)
- 2 small red potatoes, halved
- 2 bone-in chicken breast halves (7 ounces each), skin removed
- 2 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 3/4 cup hot water
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- Pinch pepper
- In a 3-qt. slow cooker, layer the first 7 ingredients in the order listed. Combine the water, bouillon, salt, thyme, basil and pepper; pour over the top. Do not stir.
- Cover and cook on low until vegetables are tender and a thermometer inserted in chicken reads 170°, 6-8 hours. Remove chicken and vegetables. Thicken cooking juices for gravy if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 304 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 94mg cholesterol, 927mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 5g fiber), 37g protein.
Aug 25, 2019
It is delicious but WAY TOO MUCH WORK to prepare! I will not make again. My time is too valuable.
Apr 12, 2018
Very good, I increased the number of potatoes and the carrots and added more seasoning. I used boneless chicken cutlets because we don't like thick chicken.
Feb 12, 2017
This was very easy and tasty.I used 3 chicken breasts instead of the 2 recommended.I added a little extra chicken broth and extra potatoes.I increased the seasoning since some thought it a little bland. It was a great weeknight dinner that tasted like s Sunday dinner.I served it with fried cornbread.I wouldn't change a thing
Jun 8, 2016
It was great. I made a gravy out of the drippings. Next time I'll add more liquid to the crock pot so I can make more of the gravy. (I used chicken breast boneless skinless and doubled the recipe.)
Jan 9, 2016
This recipe was simple and it was a good meal. It makes for a full course meal. Thanks! The seasoning after cooking may help build more flavor.
Mar 24, 2015
Very, very bland. So disappointed.
Jan 24, 2015
Since Sunday I like to TRY to relax more, it is the crock pot for me. Got on the computer and saw this and I got everything they mention and even a bit extra. Have done this kind of recipe but in the oven and it turns out good, and pretty sure this will be good tomorrow. For the Lady who needed more taste on her veggies. I use Mrs. Dash on alot and it works for us. I will use chicken stock though instead of the hot water and bouillon, Aldi's grocery store for a $1.79, had it for the holiday time and it has more flavor than the chicken broth.
Jan 11, 2015
Okay, this is going to sound weird. I am not in a fan of pot roast. For me, this fulfilled the meat and potates desire and made the family happy. I used chiceken thighs with skin and bone in, seared the skin in the bacon fat, and made gravy. The results? I say better than pot roast!
Dec 5, 2014
Doubled the recipe and made it to a "T". Loved it, very filling and the chicken was perfect, but I wish it had a little more flavor in the veggies.
Oct 6, 2014
can I use FROZEN breasts or should they be thawed 1st??