Lemon & Thyme Roasted Chicken
I love lemon and thyme together so I decided to roast a chicken with that combo. The seasoning is simple, and the meat comes out moist and tender. —Pam Nelson, Beaverton, Oregon
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 1-1/2 hours + standing
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1 roasting chicken (5 to 6 pounds)
- 1 medium lemon, halved
- 1/4 large sweet onion
- 1/4 cup fresh thyme sprigs
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled
- Lemon wedges
- Preheat oven to 350°. Mix minced thyme, salt, garlic powder and pepper. Place chicken on a rack in a shallow roasting pan, breast side up. Tuck wings under chicken; tie drumsticks together. Squeeze juice from lemon halves over chicken; sprinkle with thyme mixture.
- Loosely stuff chicken with squeezed lemon halves, onion, thyme sprigs and garlic. Roast 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until a thermometer inserted in thickest part of thigh reads 170°-175°. (Cover loosely with foil if chicken browns too quickly.)
- Remove chicken from oven; tent with foil. Let stand 15 minutes before carving. Serve with lemon wedges.
Originally published as Lemon and Fresh Thyme Roasted Chicken in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2014
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.