Citrus-Herb Roast Chicken
This dish is one of my all-time favorites...flavorful, juicy chicken with the aromas of spring: fresh herbs, lemon and spring onions. It’s the perfect one-pot meal. I make the gravy right in the pan. —Megan Fordyce, Fairchance, Pennsylvania
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 2 hours + standing
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1 roasting chicken (6 to 7 pounds)
- 3 pounds baby red potatoes, halved
- 6 medium carrots, halved lengthwise and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 fresh thyme sprigs
- 4 fresh dill sprigs
- 2 fresh rosemary sprigs
- 1 medium lemon
- 1 small navel orange
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups chicken broth, warmed
- 6 green onions, cut into 2-inch pieces
- Preheat oven to 350°. Peel and cut garlic into quarters. Place chicken on a cutting board. Tuck wings under chicken. With a sharp paring knife, cut 24 small slits in breasts, drumsticks and thighs. Insert garlic in slits. Tie drumsticks together.
- Place potatoes and carrots in a shallow roasting pan; top with herbs. Place chicken, breast side up, over vegetables and herbs. Cut lemon and orange in half; gently squeeze juices over chicken and vegetables. Place squeezed fruits inside chicken cavity. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Pour broth around chicken.
- Roast until a thermometer inserted in thickest part of thigh reads 170°-175°, 2 to 2-1/2 hours, sprinkling green onions over vegetables during the last 20 minutes. (Cover loosely with foil if chicken browns too quickly.)
- Remove chicken from oven; tent with foil. Let stand 15 minutes before carving. Discard herbs. If desired, skim fat and thicken pan drippings for gravy. Serve with chicken and vegetables.
Nutrition Facts7 ounces cooked chicken with 1-1/4 cups vegetables: 561 calories, 24g fat (7g saturated fat), 136mg cholesterol, 826mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 5g fiber), 47g protein.
Originally published as Everything spring roast chicken in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2017
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.