Roasted Chicken with Rosemary
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 2 hours + standing
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 4 tablespoons minced fresh rosemary or 2 tablespoons dried rosemary, crushed
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 whole roasting chicken (5 to 6 pounds)
- 6 small red potatoes, halved
- 6 medium carrots, halved lengthwise and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 medium onions, quartered
- In a small saucepan, melt butter; stir in the seasonings and garlic. Place chicken breast side up on a rack in a shallow roasting pan; tie drumsticks together with kitchen string. Spoon half of the butter mixture over chicken. Place the potatoes, carrots and onions around chicken. Drizzle remaining butter mixture over vegetables.
- Bake at 350° for 1-1/2 hours. Baste with cooking juices; bake 30-60 minutes longer, basting occasionally, until a thermometer inserted in thickest part of thigh reads 170°-175°. (Cover loosely with foil if chicken browns too quickly.)
- Let stand 10-15 minutes, tented with foil if necessary, before carving. Serve with vegetables.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 449 calories, 28g fat (11g saturated fat), 126mg cholesterol, 479mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 33g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 26, 2019
Very flavorful and moist...my family enjoyed it. I saved the chicken carcass and any tidbits of meat/ veggies to use to make a broth the next day for chicken and noodles. It was still tasty.
Oct 21, 2018
I have tried roasted Chicken recipe in my home as you given, very tasty and everyone enjoyed. thanks for sharing with us this.
Apr 20, 2018
Good, but not overly impressed. My kids did not really like the veggies and they did not cook all the way in the allotted time.
Nov 24, 2017
For anyone who is an absolute newbie like me:-if the chicken is in the refrigerator take it out a few hours earlier or it's gonna take another extra hour to cook-turn the chicken 180? every once in a while or you'll have one side undercooked.Even with those mistakes, the chicken was the best dish this Thanksgiving, it was absolutely tasty and moist (also amazingly easy to make). A big thank you for this absolutely awesome recipe.
Aug 4, 2017
This is perfect for Sunday Dinner!! We love it!!
Sep 25, 2016
I would put more stars....It was very good and so moist. I didn't even cover like the recipe said to do.
Aug 24, 2014
one of my husband's favorite dishes! only advice is to not go heavy on the rosemary. Can take over the whole dish. When I make this, I tend to scale back a little on the herbs.
Feb 24, 2014
Just made this for the first time this past weekend. We loved it! It had a wonderful flavor and was very moist. I think it would have come out better though if I had used an actual roasting pan. I just used a 13x9 pan with a rack, and covered it with heavy-duty foil. But the veggies were on the verge of not being quite cooked, and the chicken took longer to cook than the recipe said. (I didn't check the weight on my roasting chicken; it may have been more than the 5-6 pound specification.) So next time I will use a roasting pan, and allow extra time just in case. The flavor was wonderful, as I said, and I liked the idea of a complete meal in one pan. We just added a side of stuffing and a dish of cranberry sauce.
Sep 22, 2013
My husband's new favorite!
Apr 11, 2013
My chicken turned out tender & moist! I rubbed some of the butter mixture under the skin on the breast & that really gave the breast portion extra flavor. My veggies were a little overdone, so next time I will put them in after the chicken has baked an hour.