Pan-Roasted Chicken and Vegetables
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 2 pounds red potatoes (about 6 medium), cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 6 bone-in chicken thighs (about 2-1/4 pounds), skin removed
- 6 cups fresh baby spinach (about 6 ounces)
- Preheat oven to 425°. In a large bowl, combine potatoes, onion, oil, garlic, 3/4 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon rosemary and 1/2 teaspoon pepper; toss to coat. Transfer to a 15x10x1-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, mix paprika and the remaining salt, rosemary and pepper. Sprinkle chicken with paprika mixture; arrange over vegetables. Roast until a thermometer inserted in chicken reads 170°-175° and vegetables are just tender, 35-40 minutes.
- Remove chicken to a serving platter; keep warm. Top vegetables with spinach. Roast until vegetables are tender and spinach is wilted, 8-10 minutes longer. Stir vegetables to combine; serve with chicken.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 chicken thigh with 1 cup vegetables: 357 calories, 14g fat (3g saturated fat), 87mg cholesterol, 597mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 4g fiber), 28g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
May 28, 2018
Very easy and so delicious! I left the skin on my chicken and it crisped up very good. The juices from the chicken cooks down into the potatoes and makes them crispy and delicious too. I had never made spinach roasted before but it was very tasty. I think this recipe would work well with pork chops also!
Mar 23, 2018
Excellent and so easy. As an alternative to the potatoes, the first time I made this recipe I cut up turnips and rutabaga and roasted with the chicken. Butternut squash would be another excellent alternative to potatoes.
Mar 17, 2018
Great flavor and so versatile! I used whatever vegetables I had on hand and/or needed to get rid of. Potatoes, onion, red pepper and fresh green beans was a great combo...I adjusted the cook time a bit since the peppers and beans didn't need to go as long.
Mar 1, 2018
Very good. The whole family loves it
Feb 27, 2018
I made this last night, and it was delicious -very flavorful!! I added more veggies: carrots, celery, bell peppers, and mushrooms. I also added more seasonings to the veggies: Thyme, Italian Seasoning, and Parsley. I left the skin on the chicken and cooked everything for 55 min. I didn't add spinach this time.
Feb 23, 2018
Made tonight for the second time and really like this recipe. This time I used boneless, skinless chicken thighs and I just cooked the veggies for 15 minutes before adding the chicken and then cooked all for 25 minutes. I then took out the chicken, and added spinach for the last 10 minutes. Great recipe!!!
Feb 15, 2018
This is one of the best dinners I've made. I used less potatoes and added carrots, zucchini and yellow squash. I didn't have rosemary so I used italian seasoning. It was super delicious! Thank you, Sherrie, for sharing your recipe!
Jan 26, 2018
Great flavors! I used boneless skinless thighs.
Jan 12, 2018
Absolutely Delicious!!!! Even my 3 picky young children loved it! I added a teaspoon or so of Italian seasoning to the potato mixture. I also added lots of extra fresh garlic cloves (we love garlic), I also added extra fresh chopped onions. I also brushed both sides of chicken with olive oil and made sure to season both sides of chicken. So juicy and flavorful. We will put this in our book of “make again” recipes.
Jan 4, 2018
Really good way to use up whatever veggies you have on hand. Also, I use defrosted frozen spinach that I have wrung the water out, if I don’t have fresh. Delish!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.