Garden Vegetable & Chicken Skillet
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 medium yellow summer squash, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup uncooked instant brown rice
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- In a large skillet, saute the chicken, squash, onion and carrot in butter for 5-6 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink; drain. Add the spinach, garlic, salt, thyme and pepper; cook 2 minutes longer.
- Stir in rice and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until rice is tender. Stir in lemon juice.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 355 calories, 11g fat (5g saturated fat), 109mg cholesterol, 453mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 38g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 5 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
May 14, 2020
I had trouble getting the rice to fully cook in this dish. It was very good but after I had to extend the cooking time to complete the rice the vegetables and chicken were overcooked. Tasted good enough to make again but next time I'll cook the rice separately.
Jul 26, 2017
I made this today, it was fast to make. I added other vegetables to it. And I only use reg. brown rice, so I pre-cooked it. Great, I will make it again.
Jan 25, 2017
This was a great recipe. I used a med apple instead of a med. squash since I did not have one available at the time, and believe it or not, the taste of the apple was almost the same as the squash. THe result fantastic. I think next time to make it taste even better is to use Chicken Broth. I will give this recipe 5 stars.
Jun 26, 2012
OMG this was soooo good I used chicken broth instead of water yummmm
Jun 26, 2012
My husband and I were very skeptical because putting this together it didn't look very good. But it was delicious and my husband doesn't even care for squash. It was a little runny so maybe next time I would add less water, and maybe try the chicken broth like the other person did. Always a success when I can get him to eat veggies and he gives the okay I can make it again!
Jun 21, 2012
Very tasty! I changed the 1 cup water to 1 cup Chicken broth plus 1/2 cup water!