Citrus Chicken with Peppers
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 cup uncooked instant brown rice
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium sweet orange pepper, sliced
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, sliced
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- Dash pepper
- Minced fresh basil, optional
- Prepare rice according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium heat, cook chicken in oil for 4-5 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 170°. Remove and keep warm.
- In the same skillet, saute peppers until tender. In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch, orange juice, water and lime juice until smooth; stir in the honey, salt, paprika and pepper. Stir into the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Return chicken to the pan; heat through. Serve with rice. Sprinkle with basil if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 330 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 206mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 2g fiber), 26g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 3 lean meat, 1/2 fat.
Apr 26, 2017
I loved all the citrusy flavors in this recipe! The only thing I added was some garlic. Quick and easy recipe to make for a busy weekday dinner.
Jan 24, 2016
Not a fan. So super sweet with a slimy texture.
Nov 15, 2012
This was very good, everyone enjoyed it. It turned plain chicken into something special and made a great presentation. I would definately make this again.
Nov 18, 2011
It was easy, quick, and most of all very good. I think it would be better with chicken thighs if you like dark meat. Chicken breast seems to come out dry.
Oct 2, 2009
PS: It also has onions in it.
Oct 2, 2009
I have a similar recipe that uses tarragon instead of basil. It is delicious with pork also. My family LOVES it!!Sue, Hiawassee, GA