Chicken with Curry Roasted Squash
This chicken butternut squash curry is very flavorful and full of protein, fiber and phytonutrients. The addition of the apricots adds a mild sweetness to the dish. —Sharon Collison, Newark, Delaware
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1 medium butternut squash (about 3 pounds), cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked whole wheat couscous
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup coarsely chopped dried apricots, divided
- 3 cups coarsely shredded rotisserie chicken
- 1 can (15 ounces) chickpeas or garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- Minced fresh cilantro, optional
- Preheat oven to 425°. Place squash and onion in a 15x10-in. baking pan. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon oil and sprinkle with curry powder and 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper; toss to coat. Roast 25-30 minutes or just until squash is tender, stirring halfway.
- In a small saucepan, bring water and remaining oil to a boil. Stir in couscous. Remove from heat; let stand, covered, 5 minutes or until water is absorbed. Fluff with a fork.
- Meanwhile, in a 6-qt. stockpot, combine broth and 1/2 cup apricots; bring to a simmer. Add chicken, chickpeas, squash mixture and remaining salt and pepper; heat through, stirring gently. Serve with couscous; top with remaining apricots. Sprinkle with cilantro if desired.
Sep 17, 2019
This recipe did not include directions so it is hard to duplicate or make since there is not information as to what goes with what , is it all cooked in the oven, etc. ChrisME