Roasted Chicken with Sausage Stuffing
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 2-1/2 hours
- 1/2 pound Jones No Sugar Pork Sausage Roll sausage
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup diced sweet red pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 5 cups unseasoned stuffing croutons
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh tarragon or 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 to 2 cups chicken broth, divided
- 1 roasting chicken (6 to 7 pounds)
- In a large skillet, cook the sausage, onion, celery and red pepper in butter until sausage is no longer pink and vegetables are crisp-tender; do not drain.
- Place croutons in a large bowl; add sausage mixture. Stir in the parsley, tarragon, poultry seasoning, salt and pepper. Stir in enough broth until stuffing is moistened and holds together.
- Just before baking, loosely stuff chicken. Place with breast side up on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Pour 1/2 cup broth around chicken.
- Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 2-1/2 to 3 hours or until a thermometer reads 180° for chicken and 165° for stuffing, basting occasionally with pan juices.
Nutrition Facts14 ounce-weight: 735 calories, 42g fat (13g saturated fat), 199mg cholesterol, 967mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 63g protein.
Mar 8, 2017
This was really good! I used Italian chicken sausage & removed the casing. I also made my own croutons & used about 6 cups. Very good with the gravy.
Nov 24, 2010
I made this and then put it on my grill/smoker. The smoky flavor that the stuffing had was awesome. It will be my "dressing" from now on.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.