Roasted Vegetable Penne Bake
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 2 large zucchini, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 pound medium fresh mushrooms, halved
- 1 small onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 2 cups uncooked penne pasta
- 1 can (15 ounces) crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 2 ounces provolone cheese, shredded
- 3/4 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter, cubed
- In a large bowl, combine the zucchini, red pepper, mushrooms, onion, oil and Italian seasoning; toss to coat. Arrange in a single layer in an ungreased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Bake, uncovered, at 425° for 20-25 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions; drain. In a large bowl, combine the pasta, roasted vegetables, tomatoes, provolone cheese, peas, mozzarella cheese, 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper.
- Transfer to a greased 11x7-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese; dot with butter. Cover and bake at 350° for 10 minutes. Uncover; bake 10-15 minutes longer or until bubbly.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 283 calories, 12g fat (5g saturated fat), 19mg cholesterol, 520mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 5g fiber), 14g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1-1/2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1/2 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 5, 2019
easy and delicious. omitted mushrooms. will try other vegetables as others suggested.
Jan 10, 2015
Delicious...I omitted the mushrooms and added cauliflower and yellow squash to the vegetables to be roasted...and added some garlic powder. Red pepper flakes could add some zing but i didn't add it this time. This can be modified to add any type of vegetable. I halved the recipe for me and my husband and we could have eaten the whole thing.
Apr 22, 2013
This is delicious - excellent flavor!
Dec 7, 2011
I absolutely loved this dish the first time I made it (only a week ago) and I am still eating leftovers. I can't wait to use fresh veggies from the garden next spring! Admittedly, my husband wasn't thrilled but he is closed-minded in the food department and refuses to eat anything in the squash family, tomatoes and mushrooms.
Oct 8, 2011
This was one of the best dishes I have ever tried. We are a family that loves pasta and have tried many pasta dishes. I cannot say enough about this one. We did add extra cheese to it. And to my surprise, my son loved it and he hates vegetables. I have passed it on to all of my family members who also love it.
Sep 7, 2011
I also added italian sausage... so not so we now call it Garden Penne. so delish
Jul 30, 2011
This was delicious! I did not use the butter, but I did add Italian chicken sausage. I could only find shredded provolone that came mixed with shredded mozzarella, so I just used a 1/2 cup of that. My husband loved this too. I will definitely make this again.
Jul 3, 2011
Delicious. Th next time I try this I will double the veggies as they reduce quite a bit when cooked. I did NOT use the butter, as I didn't think it needed it.
Feb 24, 2011
i thought this was great!!!!!!!! my family of picky eaters loved it. i am sending to all my family
Feb 20, 2011
This recipe had rave reviews from my classmates as well as my instructor! Thanks very much! I'm about to wow my family with this recipe tonight~I know they will love it as I do!