Mushroom Penne Bake
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1 package (12 ounces) whole wheat penne pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jar (24 ounces) marinara sauce
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups reduced-fat ricotta cheese
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a 6-qt. stockpot, cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and return to pot; cool slightly.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; saute mushrooms until tender, 4-6 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute. Stir in marinara sauce and seasonings. Spread half of the mixture into a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Stir ricotta cheese and 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese into pasta; spoon over mushroom mixture. Spread with remaining mushroom mixture.
- Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella cheese and Parmesan cheese. Bake, uncovered, until bubbly, 25-30 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 353 calories, 11g fat (4g saturated fat), 30mg cholesterol, 748mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 7g fiber), 20g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 2 lean meat, 1 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 23, 2019
Excellent!! Followed recipe, but substituted small curd cottage cheese for the ricotta. Made half a recipe
Apr 7, 2018
Very good. I halved it for the two of us, and adjusted for what I had on hand: leftover chicken sausage instead of mushrooms, added the last of the kale to the marinara, used large short penne. Easy to prepare, sort of a simplified lasagna.