Mushroom Penne Bake
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1 package (12 ounces) whole wheat penne pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jar (24 ounces) marinara sauce
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups reduced-fat ricotta cheese
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a 6-qt. stockpot, cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and return to pot; cool slightly.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; saute mushrooms until tender, 4-6 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute. Stir in marinara sauce and seasonings. Spread half of the mixture into a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Stir ricotta cheese and 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese into pasta; spoon over mushroom mixture. Spread with remaining mushroom mixture.
- Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella cheese and Parmesan cheese. Bake, uncovered, until bubbly, 25-30 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 353 calories, 11g fat (4g saturated fat), 30mg cholesterol, 748mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 7g fiber), 20g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 2 lean meat, 1 fat.
Apr 7, 2018
Very good. I halved it for the two of us, and adjusted for what I had on hand: leftover chicken sausage instead of mushrooms, added the last of the kale to the marinara, used large short penne. Easy to prepare, sort of a simplified lasagna.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.