Sausage-Mushroom Breakfast Bake
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 50 min. + standing
- 1 pound Jones No Sugar Pork Sausage Roll sausage
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 6 cups cubed bread
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup chopped fresh tomatoes
- 10 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 cups whole milk
- 2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large skillet, cook sausage and mushrooms over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Place half of the bread cubes in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish; top with 2 cups sausage mixture and half of the cheese and tomatoes. Repeat layers. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, mustard, salt and pepper; pour over bread mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 307 calories, 20g fat (9g saturated fat), 219mg cholesterol, 549mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 17g protein.
Apr 21, 2013
I cut this recipe in half and baked in a 9" x 9" casserole, for 50 minutes and let stand 10 min. I used 1/2 the ingredients and only 3/4 cup cheese. It has a good flavor but, it was oity. I would make again, but would use fat free cheese and back off the milk to 1 cup, as to make the eggs firm. I did add sauted mushrooms and onions. Very good.
Mar 31, 2013
This was pretty good, though I think I'll cut down on the amount of bread next time and bump up the mushrooms and eggs. It's very rich and I liked the flavor - just a little too bread-heavy...
Apr 8, 2012
I would recommend using less milk so it doesn't take quite as long to bake.
Mar 9, 2011
added some onion powder and divided the recipe in half. And yes, you do refridgerate overnight - at least that is what I did and it turned out delicious!
Apr 8, 2010
This is very good. Next time I make it I will double the mushrooms and tomatoes. This recipe will be very easy to cut in half for a smaller family. I also want to try adding some bacon bits, finely diced onions and green peppers. I will recommend this to friends and family.
Dec 4, 2008
The recipe doesn't say if the dish should be refrigerated overnight, as most of these kind of recipes are.