Garden Vegetable Bake
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 2 cups chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen lima beans
- 1/2 cup cut fresh green beans
- 2 cups chopped cauliflower
- 2 cups chopped fresh broccoli
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen whole kernel corn
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen peas
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 package (8 ounces) spreadable garlic and herb cream cheese
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper
- Dash each white pepper and ground nutmeg
- 1 cup panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup each shredded Parmesan and Romano cheeses
- Place the carrots, lima beans and green beans in a steamer basket; place in a large saucepan over 1 in. of water. Bring to a boil; cover and steam for 4-5 minutes or until crisp-tender, adding the cauliflower, broccoli, corn and peas during the last 2 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl; stir in onion.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add the cream and milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Stir in the cream cheese, cheddar cheese, mozzarella cheese, parsley and seasonings; cook and stir until blended.
- Pour sauce over vegetables; gently toss to coat. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Combine the bread crumbs, Parmesan and Romano cheeses; sprinkle over vegetable mixture. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until bubbly.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 540 calories, 35g fat (23g saturated fat), 128mg cholesterol, 829mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 6g fiber), 21g protein.
Dec 11, 2012
I think the only thing I would change about this recipe is to not have the onion. The onion flavor was too overwhelming for our tastes.
Jul 2, 2012
My whole family enjoys this dish. We call it "the macaroni and cheese of vegetable dishes"! My children at home, aged 13-5, all gobble up seconds and thirds of this.
Apr 16, 2012
This recipe is truly amazing. The only thing I would change is to steam the carrots longer; maybe 15 minutes. Other than that, my husband & I love it !