Zucchini Corn Bake
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1 medium zucchini, quartered lengthwise and sliced
- 1-3/4 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon butter, divided
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- In a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, cook the zucchini, corn and onion in 1 tablespoon butter until crisp-tender. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until blended.
- Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; stir in cheese. Cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until cheese is melted. Transfer to a 1-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- In a small skillet, saute the bread crumbs, garlic and oregano in remaining butter for 2-3 minutes or until crumbs are lightly browned. Sprinkle over vegetable mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until bubbly.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 229 calories, 10g fat (6g saturated fat), 27mg cholesterol, 417mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 3g fiber), 12g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 fat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jun 5, 2015
Wow...this was really much better than I thought it would be. I used a big zucchini from my garden and two ears of corn. My husband loved it and says it's a keeper. For the topping, I didn't have dry crumbs so I used soft wheat bread crumbs made from two slices whole wheat bread spun around in my mini-chopper with the garlic and fresh oregano from my garden. Toasted them up in a skillet with the butter as instructed. If I had to improve it, I might put the sliced zucchini in a colander and add some salt about an hour before assembling the casserole to cut down on the wateriness. It was overall a YUMMY recipe just as is. Thank you for sharing this simple, lovely way to use up my garden zucchini.
May 16, 2010
I made this today to take over to my parents for a cook out. We all thought it was really good! I liked how quickly it came together and how rich it tasted, even though it was light. I will definitely make this again! Next time I may add some chopped red bell pepper to it, although I think you could add just about any veggies to it with great results!
Sep 11, 2009
This is delicious. I've made it with plain bread crumbs and Italian crumbs and both are great. I recommend it!