Vegetable Barley Bake
Forget the potatoes and rice, and consider this change-of-pace dinner accompaniment. Wholesome barley makes for a heart-smart dish that complements just about any main course and other sides, too. —Shirley Doyle, Mount Prospect, Illinois
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 55 min.
- 3 medium sweet red or green peppers, chopped
- 4 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1-1/2 cups medium pearl barley
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large nonstick skillet, saute peppers, mushrooms and onions in butter 8-10 minutes or until tender. Transfer to a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Stir in broth, barley and pepper.
- Cover and bake 50 minutes. Uncover; bake 5-10 minutes longer or until barley is tender and liquid is absorbed.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 157 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 6mg cholesterol, 153mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 6g fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Vegetable Barley Casserole in Light & Tasty October/November 2005
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.