Beef and Barley
I like to double this country-style dish to serve company. I'm not sure where the recipe originated, but I've had it for years. - Linda Ronk, Melbourne, Florida
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 4 hours
- 2 pounds ground beef, cooked and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) diced carrots, undrained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup water
- 1-1/2 to 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a 3-qt. slow cooker, combine the first 11 ingredients. In a skillet, lightly brown barley in butter. A
- Add to the slow cooker; mix well. Sprinkle with bread crumbs and cheese. Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or until heated through. Discard bay leaf before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 409 calories, 18g fat (9g saturated fat), 78mg cholesterol, 990mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 7g fiber), 28g protein.
Originally published as Beef and Barley in Taste of Home Ground Beef Cookbook-Book
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.