Vegetable Barley Saute
This wonderful side dish can easily be turned into a hearty entree by adding cooked chicken.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1/3 cup water
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 cup cut fresh green beans (2-inch pieces)
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1/2 cup unsalted cashews, optional
- Prepare barley according to package directions. In a small bowl, combine, water, soy sauce and cornstarch until smooth; set aside.
- In a large skillet or wok, saute garlic in oil for 15 seconds. Add carrots and beans; stir-fry for 2 minutes. Add onions; stir-fry 1 minute longer. Stir soy sauce mixture; stir into skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, about 1 minute. Add barley; heat through. If desired, stir in cashews.
Nutrition Facts2/3 cup: 148 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 458mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 6g fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
Originally published as Broccoli Barley Saute in The Taste of Home Cookbook 1st edition