Nutty Barley Bake
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 1-1/4 hours
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup medium pearl barley
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds or pine nuts
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) beef broth
- Additional parsley and green onions, optional
- In a large skillet, saute the onion, barley and nuts in butter until barley is lightly browned. Stir in the parsley, green onions, salt and pepper.
- Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Stir in broth. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1-1/4 hours or until the barley is tender and the liquid is absorbed. If desired, sprinkle with additional parsley and green onions.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 257 calories, 13g fat (5g saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol, 704mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 7g fiber), 7g protein.
Nov 24, 2019
This is a new favorite! Eating healthier has opened many new recipes for us! Very easy to make!
May 20, 2019
Excellent. I did this on the stovetop, would be nice baked a little to creat a crust. Janet. VFE
Apr 18, 2019
Made this with pepitas instead of nuts listed. Cooked it on the stovetop, and added some dried cherries to the finished dish. It's a keeper recipe!!!
Jan 10, 2018
Absolutely wonderful! I will be making this recipe many times in the future!Wonderful flavor! Redawna
Aug 10, 2016
Excellent and easy to prepare!
Aug 6, 2014
Very good recipe plus it's something different!
Feb 6, 2013
Made it several times. Makes a great and different side dish for a change.
Jul 9, 2011
May 20, 2011
It was great! I added chopped carrots since the chopper was out for the onion. It was delicious!
Nov 22, 2010
I started making this many years ago when it was first published. My husband wouldn't have Thanksgiving without it!