Nutty Barley Bake
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 1-1/4 hours
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup medium pearl barley
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds or pine nuts
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) beef broth
- Additional parsley and green onions, optional
- In a large skillet, saute the onion, barley and nuts in butter until barley is lightly browned. Stir in the parsley, green onions, salt and pepper.
- Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Stir in broth. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1-1/4 hours or until the barley is tender and the liquid is absorbed. If desired, sprinkle with parsley and green onions.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 257 calories, 13g fat (5g saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol, 704mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 7g fiber), 7g protein.
Jan 10, 2018
Absolutely wonderful! I will be making this recipe many times in the future!Wonderful flavor! Redawna
Aug 10, 2016
Excellent and easy to prepare!
Aug 6, 2014
Very good recipe plus it's something different!
Feb 6, 2013
Made it several times. Makes a great and different side dish for a change.
Jul 9, 2011
May 20, 2011
It was great! I added chopped carrots since the chopper was out for the onion. It was delicious!
Nov 22, 2010
I started making this many years ago when it was first published. My husband wouldn't have Thanksgiving without it!
Aug 27, 2009
I did not use the butter; but put all the ingredients into the microwave. I cooked it on a lower setting and it was delicious. I liked lowering the fat content and it was nice and moist without the butter.
Oct 20, 2008
This is excellent! I served it for a group dinner party and everyone loved it!
Sep 14, 2008
Good recipe. I have successfully prepared this on the stovetop, adding a bit more liquid than the recipe calls for.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.