Baked Barley Pudding
My husband isn't a rice fan, so I often replace it with barley. This dessert recipe has the same sweet and satisfying flavor as traditional rice pudding. Smooth and custardy, it bakes up firm and golden.
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 1/2 cup uncooked medium pearl barley
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil. Stir in barley and salt. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add milk; cook over medium-low heat for 10 minutes or until barley is almost tender, stirring frequently. In a bowl, whisk the cream, sugar, eggs and vanilla; gradually stir into the barley mixture.
- Spoon into eight greased 6-oz. custard cups. Sprinkle with raisins and cinnamon. Place custard cups in two 9-in. square baking pans. Fill both pans with boiling water to a depth of 1 in. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Store in the refrigerator.
Editor's Note: Pudding will appear layered when baked.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 280 calories, 14g fat (9g saturated fat), 102mg cholesterol, 133mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (22g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as Baked Barley Pudding in Country Woman May/June 2002
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.