Baked Sweet Potato Pudding
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 50 min.
- 4 cups mashed sweet potatoes
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut, divided
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds
- Vanilla ice cream, optional
- In a large bowl, beat the potatoes, cream, egg yolks, lemon juice, lemon peel and spices until smooth. Fold in 2/3 cup coconut.
- In a large bowl with clean beaters, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in brown sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved.
- With a spatula, stir a fourth of the egg whites into sweet potato mixture until no white streaks remain. Fold in remaining egg whites until combined.
- Transfer to a greased 11x7-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with almonds and remaining coconut. Bake at 325° for 50-55 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Serve warm with ice cream if desired.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup (calculated without ice cream): 324 calories, 14g fat (8g saturated fat), 100mg cholesterol, 111mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 5g fiber), 6g protein.
Aug 2, 2012
I made a smaller recipe by halving everything and using 2 eggs. We still had leftovers with the 4 of us. I left out the lemon peel and the extra coconut on top. I used fat free half and half in place of the cream and pecans on top rather than almonds. It was a nice change of pace and probably a little lighter than my normal ways of fixing baked sweet potatoes.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.