Baked Sweet Potato Pudding
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 50 min.
- 4 cups mashed sweet potatoes
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut, divided
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds
- Vanilla ice cream, optional
- In a large bowl, beat the potatoes, cream, egg yolks, lemon juice, lemon zest and spices until smooth. Fold in 2/3 cup coconut.
- In a large bowl with clean beaters, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in brown sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved.
- With a spatula, stir a fourth of the egg whites into sweet potato mixture until no white streaks remain. Fold in remaining egg whites until combined.
- Transfer to a greased 11x7-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with almonds and remaining coconut. Bake at 325° for 50-55 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Serve warm with ice cream if desired.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 324 calories, 14g fat (8g saturated fat), 100mg cholesterol, 111mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 5g fiber), 6g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Aug 2, 2012
I made a smaller recipe by halving everything and using 2 eggs. We still had leftovers with the 4 of us. I left out the lemon peel and the extra coconut on top. I used fat free half and half in place of the cream and pecans on top rather than almonds. It was a nice change of pace and probably a little lighter than my normal ways of fixing baked sweet potatoes.